AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to getting a bluray drive and am looking for a new videocard for my HTPC. I do no gaming and only use this as a htpc and was wondering if just the 5450 would work for blurays and lossless audio. I'd like to futureproof this as much as possible. The HTPC runs win7. If the 5450 isn't strong enough any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
yes, it is. If you'll be watching any interlaced content, disable "smooth video" or whatever it's called, enable VA deinterlacing and make sure NO other post-processing is selected.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the 5450 will work just fine for 1080p sources, ie progressive scan sources..

however, if you intend to watch TV with it, you might want to look along the lines of the 5500 or 5600 series, as it has more horsepower to appropriately deinterlace the interlaced signal that may come from your tv source, and display it properly on your progressive scan display.

Any 5xxx series will handle blu-ray audio about as close to perfect as the HTPC world can get..

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/18227037

however, if you intend to watch TV with it, you might want to look along the lines of the 5500 or 5600 series, as it has more horsepower to appropriately deinterlace the interlaced signal that may come from your tv source, and display it properly on your progressive scan display.

see response above

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/18227068

see response above

yep, we posted at the same time, and I did not remember the verdict if it completely worked or not, so i figured it would be safer to get a little more horsepower. 55 and 5600 series can also come in passive cooler, low profile cards, for not a whole lot more cash, so...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5450 uses 19w and is around $50

5670 uses 64w and is around $100

Would I see performance gains with the 5670? Also I don't see any passive cooled or low profile cards on newegg. Do you know of any manufactors that create the low profile card? Currently I have a tower so low profile isn't a huge deal but would be nice if I decide to upgrade to a smaller machine.

I plan on purchasing a 1080p projector with around 120" screen next month and i'm preparing now for everything. I just don't want to lose performance because I'm trying to save a couple bucks on the card.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a 5450 the other day and it plays back blu rays fine, also does va deinterlacing as stated above with all other enhancements off

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm playing 1080p content perfect on just an ATI 4200 integrated graphics chip. I haven't tried to deinterlace any TV signals as I don't use my HTPC for regular TV broadcasts but if a 4200 can handle 1080p perfectly fine I can't imagine a 5450 card will have any issues doing absolutely anything non-gaming related.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5450's $50 on newegg and a 5670 is $100 locally at microcenter. I guess it comes down to my convincing skills with the girlfriend as I don't like waiting for packages.

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR435 and its amazing!! but doesn't have HDMI or HD audio so i guess it'll become a bedroom stereo soon.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bought the 5670 today, tried to install it in my 939 socket abit an8-fatal1ty board and it won't post. It's pcie1 which i thought was backwards compatible with 2.1 but apparently not. Tried it out in my am3 msi board i use as a server running 2008R2 and works fine. Any suggestions getting these new cards to work in the old 939 boards or is it upgrade time?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Just bought a 5750 fanless myself today... $174Cdn This in my "old" quad q6600 should do quite well for 1080p mkv with flac audio and MAME emulator

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
afraid it's MB upgrade time.... maybe take back the 5670, get the 5450 and use the savings toward the MB

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99TA /forum/post/18227778

I'm playing 1080p content perfect on just an ATI 4200 integrated graphics chip. I haven't tried to deinterlace any TV signals as I don't use my HTPC for regular TV broadcasts but if a 4200 can handle 1080p perfectly fine I can't imagine a 5450 card will have any issues doing absolutely anything non-gaming related.

1080P in a lot of ways is easier than 1080i, since it is just outputting the same frame structure, and not modifying the video at all. 1080i, like what is found in broadcast TV, is not the same frame structure, and as such, has to have considerable work done to it.

the short version is, a 1080i signal contains even lines on frame 1, and odd lines on frame 2. when played back on a progressive system, the graphics card has to make up the missing lines, and this can take a bit of work..

as for passive cooled cards, I saw some larger 5670's with passive coolers, or low profile 5570's, so I may not have been completely correct, but pick your poison. the fans on these machines are generally at least as quiet as the hard drives in most pc's, so..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The HIS 5670 I picked up was dead silent! It has a fan and takes up 2 slots but works great just not in my 939 board.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a few questions regarding the 5450.

1. So far the only issue with the 5450 seems to be that you can't use additional effects while playing 1080i, please correct me if I'm wrong. How much of a drawback this is, anyway? Are those effects needed?

I'd be watching some 1080i DVB-T eventually, but I'd expect to deinterlace the DVB-T stream on my HDTV, which should have this ability. Would playing back via the PC to the TV give me any advantages for picture?

2. Does the 5450 support using both the DVI and the HDMI output at the same time - extended desktop, not same picture? (Also using the HDMI audio.)

I would expect this, but I'm asking just in case, because I read some cards don't support this.

3. Is there a significant difference between the DDR2 and DDR3 models or various memory speeds (some DDR3 are 667, some 800)?

4. Are there any good (Nvidia) alternatives to the 5450? I need it to be passively cooled and single slot (bottom side). The only requirements performance wise are flawless HD decoding with HDMI audio and whatever eventual future proofing. But I really wouldn't go lower than the 5450 as far as gaming performance (for some older games).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Recently got a HIS 5670 and am happy with it. It is fan cooled but dead silent. It uses to slots but has a neat feature that it blows out the hot air out of the case through vents in the back. This is not just a htpc (dell 9100 studio xps) and plan on loading it up with 3 HDD drives 2 optical possibly two more hdd all internal and wanted extra cooling. Paid $129 CDN.

One thing though is it seems this card is a bit in no mans land. Over kill for most HTPC uses and under powered for gaming. Think maybe I should have gone up one series or down one (for now).

BTW-why is passive cooling such a desired feature in HTPC?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy /forum/post/18611273

BTW-why is passive cooling such a desired feature in HTPC?

Silence and typically the low power usage that comes with passive cooling (more power = requires active cooling).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts