·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the low-down:

Panny 54G10 - $150 cheaper than V10

Panny 54V10 - $50 cheaper than LG

LG 60PS60 - $300 cheaper than Sammy B650

I've looked at all of these displays and they look very similar PQ-wise in the store. The LG case is a work of art though and a much larger TV overall considering the 60" + bezel. The V10 is the next prettiest, then the G10. I'd also say the LG was a tad dimmer, but like I said - maladjusted. To the eye, the LG was a slightly more pleasing picture though and the most smooth (LG drivers ftw). Lastly, the Pannys have more networking features, but none that I really need.

Anyways, I'm kinda stuck with these options. And there's so little info. on the LG. This is of course assuming I dont break down and get the Sharp 52" LED for the same money as the LG.

Btw, I heard the Sammy's have a burn-in problem with their plasmas... This true?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So

I have been looking at buy a new Plasma now as well

Here is what I have come up with

Samsung PN58B560 has Cinema Smooth 600mhz and etc..

Panasonic 54 or 58 V10.. This is more on the level of the Samsung 850-860

Samsung PN58B860 (I like this one the best.. Panasonics bezel kinda of sucks)

LG 60PS this is a decent plasma but really its more on the level of PN58B550 (yes 550) its not that the lvl of the V10 or the 860 but damm it dirt cheap I am saying upto 25% over the Samsung and get 60 inches.. I have a hard time walking away from this one..

Sometimes at times I feel like we are splitting hairs and that most won't maximize your display due to ambiant lighting, display calibration, placement.

So far here is my Top Plasma List

KRP-600M (Pioneer Kuro Display 60")

Samsung PN58B860

Panasonic TC-L58V10

Then Mid grade

Panasonic G10

Samsung 560

Samsung 650

LG PS60

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghambit /forum/post/16997158

Here's the low-down:

Panny 54G10 - $150 cheaper than V10

Panny 54V10 - $50 cheaper than LG

LG 60PS60 - $300 cheaper than Sammy B650

I've looked at all of these displays and they look very similar PQ-wise in the store. The LG case is a work of art though and a much larger TV overall considering the 60" + bezel. The V10 is the next prettiest, then the G10.

It sounds like you would like the larger size of the LG, but also want the best picture quality that you can get. In that case, I would suggest you look at the 58V10. Here in Canada, the list price at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy) for the 58" V10 is only $200 more than the 54". So, if my math using your numbers is right, this will be only $150 more than the LG for approximately the same size as the LG and you are getting a much better TV.

BTW, I own a Samsung 58B650 right now and cannot recommend it due to the potential buzz that may drive you nuts. I may be returning it for a Panasonic. However, if you really like the Samsungs, I would also take a look at the 5xx series. Considering the CinemaSmooth function is currently broken on the 6xx and 8xx TVs and that you would not use the Internet features, there is little advantage left to pay a premium for.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrg /forum/post/16997297

So

I have been looking at buy a new Plasma now as well

Here is what I have come up with

Samsung PN58B560 has Cinema Smooth 600mhz and etc..

Panasonic 54 or 58 V10.. This is more on the level of the Samsung 850-860

Samsung PN58B860 (I like this one the best.. Panasonics bezel kinda of sucks)

LG 60PS this is a decent plasma but really its more on the level of PN58B550 (yes 550) its not that the lvl of the V10 or the 860 but damm it dirt cheap I am saying upto 25% over the Samsung and get 60 inches.. I have a hard time walking away from this one..

Sometimes at times I feel like we are splitting hairs and that most won't maximize your display due to ambiant lighting, display calibration, placement.

So far here is my Top Plasma List

KRP-600M (Pioneer Kuro Display 60")

Samsung PN58B860

Panasonic TC-L58V10

Then Mid grade

Panasonic G10

Samsung 560

Samsung 650

LG PS60

The Samsung 650 is not mid grade. It is the same grade as the 8xx series, only thicker. Unless you are going to hang the TV on the wall, I would go with the 6xx series and save yourself some money.

There are a couple of things to be aware of with the Samsungs - the Samsung CinemaSmooth function is currently broken so cannot be considered a feature until it is fixed, if it is ever fixed. The Samsung buzzing issue is also real, affecting many 6xx and 8xx owners and if you are sensitive to noise at all, it may drive you crazy. It drives me crazy.

The Pioneers are still the best, but they are no longer being manufactured. Some of them also buzz and I would be concerned about what happens if they need repairs.

I have not seen the bezel on the 58" V10 yet, but the Samsung bezel is nicer than the bezel on any Panasonic I have seen to date...

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy115 /forum/post/16997809

I want to chime in, 50" B530 is pretty cheap in Canada, is there a big difference when it compares to 6 /8 series in term of PQ ? Thanks

If you are going to be watching in a basement or dark room and don't see any issues watching 24 fps shows at 60 Hz (I don't see any), I think you can consider them essentially the same for PQ.

According to the Samsung.ca website, the differences between the two are:

- 6xx has CinemaSmooth (which is currently broken)

- 6xx has UltraFilterBright vs FilterBright

- 6xx has Internet, USB, etc.

- 6xx has ChrystalFHDEngine

- 6xx has wide colour enhancer (which you will just turn off)

The USB or Internet are helpful for firmware upgrades. I don't think the other features are worth the extra price.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrg /forum/post/16997297

So

If you are considering the LG 60PS60, and live anywhere near a Fry's, go take a look at LG 60PS11. It is effectively the same minus the single pane of glass, and is even cheaper than the 60PS60.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_calgary /forum/post/16997910

If you are going to be watching in a basement or dark room and don't see any issues watching 24 fps shows at 60 Hz (I don't see any), I think you can consider them essentially the same for PQ.

According to the Samsung.ca website, the differences between the two are:

- 6xx has CinemaSmooth (which is currently broken)

- 6xx has UltraFilterBright vs FilterBright

- 6xx has Internet, USB, etc.

- 6xx has ChrystalFHDEngine

- 6xx has wide colour enhancer (which you will just turn off)

The USB or Internet are helpful for firmware upgrades. I don't think the other features are worth the extra price.

Thanks for your reply. It is sad that I am going to put this in the living room, so it means it will perform badly under the daylight? I took a look on it in future shop today, it looked like so dull, but I doubt that they did not tune the brightest setting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been told the Sammy plasmas have more burn-in issues than other manufacturers. Is this true?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts