AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am a relative newbie to this forum and I tried looking for some info on a few questions I had and I hope that some of you could help guide me as the stores I've went seem to have no idea!

1. My viewing distance is going to be 14' 5" from the tv. I know i want at least a 55" but can go to a 65" as the max size that will fit the room. What would you guys recommend for this arrangement as we will have comcast hd cable or dishnetwork 6000? We will be viewing mostly prime time shows and DVD's as well with the HDTV's events when they pop-up.

2. With the size of the tv you recommend what brand and model is the best overall value for under $4000. I would like for the set not to be obsolete in 2 years though..

I'm really confused at all the choices and I just want someone with the proper knowledge of these tv's to guide me in the right direction so i dont make a mistake and buy a tv thats too small or too big for my room and also don't want to buy what the BB salesman tells me too!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

I look forward to chatting with all you guys!!

later

bob

:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
For that viewing distance, you better go big. The optimum viewing distance for true HD is 3.3 times the height of the screen, or 8.8 feet from a 65" 16x9 HDTV. The optimum viewing distance for 480i or 480p is 5 times the height of the screen, or 13.3 feet from the screen .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I've been reading this forum off and on for years, and I don't recall a single post from someone who regretted going too big. Don't get me wrong, there are disadvantages with bigger - more bulk, higher cost, lower quality picture on SD sources. But you just don't see people regretting those things after the fact.

Oh, and not to correct the other poster per se, but what you have shown is one person's opinion of their ideal ratio, and one that looks reasonable to many people. But there is not a single ideal ratio. Different people have different tastes. My wife would go crazy with those ratios - too big a screen. My little cousins - who like to put their noses this-->

·
Registered
154 Posts
From that distance, I would deffinitely go 65". I have a 64" at about 12', and love it.

As already mentioned, I've read of lots of people buying conservatively on size, and regretting it. I have read very few (if any) people that wish they would have gone smaller.

What they say is true, the TV shrinks after a couple weeks. I was amazed at how big my 64" was when I got it. It was HUGE! Now, it's just the TV that happens to be in my basement.

If you have the money and the room, go for the big boys! :D

If you're looking to get a good deal, check out the Pioneer 643hd5 at Costco. A little talk on this forum, but lots over at the Spot . Check out the Pioneer and RPTV forums. Amazing TV for the money. If you're looking for DVI or Firewire though, it doesn't have either.

I don't have an HDTV source yet, but both the cable and DVD picture are outstanding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well viewing distance is ALWAYS a function of A) what you like and B) how good your vision is, so I don't mind being corrected, per se. :D

The ratios I gave are THX numbers...I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much guys!! I have decided to go 65 inches! I am considering the toshiba 65hdx32 and the hitachi 64swx. Any ideas on which way to go between these two? Thanks again!!

bob

·
Registered
972 Posts
yes they shrink. I'd certainly go 65, but at that distance don't even think about going any smaller than 57.

As usual, JMO.

edit - oops...missed your post. Great decision! :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
In your case go as big as you can fit and afford. I would have liked a 57" but unfortunately the cost and general size wouldn't work with my place. I'm quite happy with my 50" though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixter
For that viewing distance, you better go big. The optimum viewing distance for true HD is 3.3 times the height of the screen, or 8.8 feet from a 65" 16x9 HDTV. The optimum viewing distance for 480i or 480p is 5 times the height of the screen, or 13.3 feet from the screen .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I recently went through shopping that question with Hitachi and when I called I got several different answers, one of which was like yours, but it was 3.3 the diagnal, not the height, but than I was told before that 9 to 12 for a 57 inch and 10 to 13 for a 65, which you would think has to be wrong, because that would leave 1 foot difference min to max for 30 percent more screen. After I bought it and was having some issue's, and was looking for any reason it could be, than I was told by the only non friendly person at Hitachi that real distance was 14 to 16 feet for a 65 inch.

I don't know at this point what it is, but I do know that when I had an analog 60 inch Hitachi 12 feet was fine, and with a new 65xwx in analog 12 feet seems fine, but with HD programming I can often see pixels and they go away around 14 to 15 feet. This makes me think that you can watch it at 12, but in reality 15 is much better.

The other way I was told and by several tech people in engineering at Hitachi was ideal would be if you sit in a normal chair and back away from teh set until your eye's are level at 3 feet from the floor, than you are ideal. As you move back, your eye's get lower and lower, and so that was the way to match your chair, to your height sitting to the set. The only problem with this is if space is less than where it works out or the actual chair you sit in is higher or lower than the one you can test with. More confusion, but after what I experienced, I don't see anyway ideal can be anywhere close to 10. I could live with it at 12 feet, but clearly knew it wasn't ideal.

Lastly to make it even more confusing I had a 65909 Mitsu Diamond in my home at the same 12 feet and couldn't see any pixels or ever did I feel that I may be too close. The pitch is much finer on the Hitachi, and so I concluded that was probably why that was, but that is just my guess.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I faced the same thing at 12 feet, but at 14 you can have a 65 inch, but I have to warn you on the larger Hitachi's because I just got out of one, and the one I had, and every one in my city on display looks very poor compared to other brands and the smaller sized 57 inch Hitachi.

A second factor is analog quality, and I fould that only the Hitachi SWX and XWX do well great on analog and most sets are just beyond realistic in that mode. I am trying a line doubler this weekend, to see what it does on some of them, before I decide whether to just get the 57 inch Hitachi, or another 65 inch, either the Pioneer Elite or the Mitsubishi Diamond or Diamond plus, and will follow up on how that goes.

That said, the 55 and 57 and 58's in their brands all look better than their larger siblings, but with the Hitachi it was just alot more dropoff than with any of the others. The 65 inch does present more of a cinematic feel to it, and is also better on sports, but if analog is also important to you, than you may end up back at Hitachi and if that is the case, than seriously consider the 57 inch. I have seen people here say theirs are fine, but where I live they all seem to look bad, and the stores are getting returns something huge for performance in that size.

I will follow up about the doubler this weekend and hope it really helps some of these ANTI-Analog sets out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
along the same line...

i'm going to be sitting about 9.5' away. does anyone have any feedback from this distance? I was thinking 51", but everyone is saying "go big." would a 57" be to big and tiresome to watch after a while?

thanks, rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rob,

I have the 57swx20b after trying the 65" for one day. DVD was good on the 65" but DISH was horrible. I'm at exactly 9.5 feet too and the 57" is perfect for me. The 65" center is also 4" higher.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.