AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved the 5500 into my bedroom yesterday to see if it would pass the noise test. My wife can't even stand the sound of the air purifiers we had in there when she tried to sleep. The 3060 we had before was too loud, and the 5000 units I've tried were also too loud.

I'm happy to say that the 5500 worked out just fine. As long as it was in standby mode (power button off), it made hardly a peep. I did find that when it was powered on, the hard drive did make a lot of clatter as it streamed program out for viewing. But the fan was very very quiet.

I thought other prospective 5500 buyers might be interested...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well score one for the 5500. I am glad it does something the 5000 doesn't do.

So what is the software/GUI like? Any appreciable differences (besides the obvious lack of CA and IVS)?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, it's exactly the same. Build 110. The only visible difference is the lack of Sonicblue and Commercial Advance logos on the front panel.

My understanding is that the 5500s will get 5.1 at the same time as the 5000s, and that they will continue to run the same software versions for the foreseeable future.

oh, and the CA button on the remote is now marked "Input".

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Do you notice any appreciable difference with the internal tuner? That is, if you use it. Just wondering if they made a change, considering all the problems with the 5xxx series tuners others are experiencing.

If so, PLEASE post a picture (if/when you open the case) or let us know if there is a manufacturer/part number available.

Glad to hear the fan is quieter. Is the hard drive noise you described louder than the 5xxx series? If you do a 411 zones, is the hard drive identified as the same one in the 5xxx series? Maybe it needs to be quieted using AMSET?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the drive is any louder than the other units. The drive is reported as:

Maxtor 4R160L0 [R40C1L8E]

I don't use the internal tuner, I got rid of cable a couple of months ago. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Think the (apparent) drive noise is (1) because the fan is off/quieter until it warms up, and (2) because it *is* in the bedroom?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the experts find in a side by side comparison of the 5000 and 5500, to see what exactly was done to remove CA and IVS. This was all doen too quickly for the change to be that difficult to spot. If they are both really running the same software, my guess is that there are a few empty spots on the 5500's PCB (this is really Mikeyboy territory), in which case we can simply document what the parts are by looking at the 5000's PCB and list them. Then people can convert the 5500 into a 5000, and voila, we've saved Replay!

Hopefully, the MPAA and the rest of the Hollywood scum won't be paying close enough attention to what a few hackers are doing to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Rob, why do/we think any hardware except for a model ID was changed? I iexpect(ed) it's the same software for all 5xxx boxes and the model ID disables ACA/IVS for the 55xx. AFAIK, the only hardware change is the fan (and that's even in the 'last' 5000s.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm just speculating. I figure that if the software really is the same, it has to know if it's playing on a 5000 or 5500 box so that it knows whether to enable CA & IVS or not. One possible way would be if certain components were missing and the software had the ability to test for their presence. Of course, an easier way would probably be to use an EEPROM or something encoded with the model number.

Either way, once one of the experts gets a chance to compare the two units, ie, software image and hardware, we should be able to come up with a hack to convert a 5500 into a 5000. I know that I'll easily be able to convert the 5500 remote (with it's INPUT button) into a 5000 remote (with a CA button instead).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
nope, it's exactly the same. Build 110. The only visible difference is the lack of Sonicblue and Commercial Advance logos on the front panel.

My understanding is that the 5500s will get 5.1 at the same time as the 5000s, and that they will continue to run the same software versions for the foreseeable future.

oh, and the CA button on the remote is now marked "Input".
How are the 5500's with respect to stability issues? For me these are the achilles heels of the 5000's. If the 5000's and 5500's are basically running the same software I don't understand how the lock-up problems can be solved in the 5500's, but I'd sure like to believe so.

DNNA's ReplayTV has great potential but it's gotta' work as rock steady as TiVo for it to become a serious contender. Tell me it's on its way there!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
Either way, once one of the experts gets a chance to compare the two units, ie, software image and hardware, we should be able to come up with a hack to convert a 5500 into a 5000.
I think no one ever came up with a way to convert a ShowStopper to a ReplayTV, back when the ShowStoppers would not play macrovision protected content while the ReplayTVs would. The hardware was identical. The difference was in the firmware and nobody ever hacked that firmware.

I believe the 5000s and 5500s will be similar to the ShowStopper/ReplayTV comparison. The hardware will be identical for all intents and purposes, as will the software, but there'll be something in the firmware that triggers the CA and IVS options to either be on or off in the software.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Um, yes, they did come up with a macrovision hack. You can still find it some places, even though it hasn't been needed for a long time.

I agree that the toggle is most likely EEPROM controlled, but there could still be a way to bypass the check.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay
How are the 5500's with respect to stability issues? For me these are the achilles heels of the 5000's. If the 5000's and 5500's are basically running the same software I don't understand how the lock-up problems can be solved in the 5500's, but I'd sure like to believe so.
I think you're confusing 5000 vs. 5500 and 5.0 vs 5.1. As Justin said, all indicators point to the same software being on all 'current' models (5000 and 5500). Now, 5.1 *is* supposed to make things a *lot* better. But having a 5500 only means that you can't (legally, I'm not going there...) do IVS or ACA.

Wait for 5.1 and then we can all see how much better it is.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When do you think we'll find out what the clawfoot portal code is to reactivate CA and IVS? :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
apparently, 5500s have a VRR (variable rotation rate) fan. cool. it doesn't necessarily mean that they also put a thermometer in there, though. it's probably just using the CPU meter to figure out when to rev up the fan.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Rick, my best guess is that the CA button will simply be ignored by the 5500, but hey, until we try it we won't know for sure. (Btw, I'm sure glad you put a "V" in your onscreen name!!! :) )

·
Registered
196 Posts
jleavens -

Just wondering...

Because you know what you know, why did you buy a 5500? Or are you just testing it out to return later?

-Curious

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.