Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
 http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/vid...iceplanfaq.asp

Quote:
ReplayTV Service Plan FAQ

Why did ReplayTV change from separate pricing for the hardware and ReplayTV service to bundled pricing in the ReplayTV 5500?

ReplayTV's bundled pricing offers significant benefits for both consumers and retailers. For consumers, the bundled pricing offers a much lower total cost of ownership over the product's lifetime as well as a simpler at home set-up, because the unit is activated right out of the box.

How long is the bundled subscription with the ReplayTV 5500?

The ReplayTV 5500 Series DVR includes a 3-year service plan. For 3 years, you can enjoy all of the benefits of the most powerful DVR on the planet and extend the service for only $0.99 per month.

What happens after the 3-year subscription service runs out?

After 3 years, customers may renew the service plan for the nominal fee of $11.88 per year, which is just $0.99 a month, far less than the$12.95 .monthly fee required by other DVR services. You can purchase ReplayTV Service plans in 1-, 2-, or 3-year periods.

·
Registered
237 Posts
"After 3 years, customers may renew the service plan for the nominal fee of $11.88 per year, which is just $0.99 a month, far less than the$12.95 .monthly fee required by other DVR services."

I wonder if they are doing this so you need to call them in 3 years which they think will give them a chance to sell you a new unit?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My spin on the .99 charge after three years:

Charge me another $25 up front and make it a Lifetime activation. Don't make me have to piddle around with this stuff. *sheesh*

PS. Since they're selling 'em off the Replay site does that mean everyone is released from their NDAs?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The 55xxs have 5.0 software, Mr. Tact. They won't get 5.1 and any new features until the 5xxxs get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
"Ahhh, I see" said the blind man. I guess that makes sense...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Shouldn't the 55xx's be labeled as the "second most powerful DVR on the planet"? Seems to me that the 50xx's are "more powerful"...

Cheers

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, both 5000 and 5500 have the "most powerful blue LED on the planet".

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nobody has commented on the price now that it's up. It's $499 rather than the $549 that had been widely quoted (and which is the price on Amazon). See, there is a reason to buy it over a 5000 :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
See, there is a reason to buy it over a 5000 :)
Go ahead, I'll watch.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGeek
Nobody has commented on the price now that it's up. It's $499 rather than the $549 that had been widely quoted (and which is the price on Amazon). See, there is a reason to buy it over a 5000 :)
I noticed that right away. While I think $499 is a step in the right direction, I htink they need to get it down to $449 or $399 for the new strategy to work. I guess they might be able to do that with a rebate. At least that's my $.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.