AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that regular DVDs viewed on mySony 55a2000 from the Xbox 360 are way too bright with lifted black levels. This occurs when the disc is played in either the HD DVD or Console drive. However, HD DVDs seem fine as do games. I have the 360 set for 1080i via component, but think it switches to 480p (maybe 480i) when dvds are played. What it LOOKS like is happening is different calibration settings are used when the TV senses a different input resolution, but a quick check of the Picture/Color menu shows the exact same values and settings as when a 1080i signal is coming in.

I've talked to a few friends who have the Xbox 360 (with different TVs) and none of them have experienced this effect. Is there some known issue with the A2000 series doing weird things with calibration settings when different res signals come thru on the same input?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
635 Posts
This happens with most TVs on the 360 - either DVD is correct and games and HD are dark, or DVD is bright and the other two are correct like you have. Calibrate with a standard DVD and save the settings in one of your modes separately from the settings you use for HD-DVD and games, then switch modes when you go from one to the other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM407 /forum/post/0

This happens with most TVs on the 360 - either DVD is correct and games and HD are dark, or DVD is bright and the other two are correct like you have. Calibrate with a standard DVD and save the settings in one of your modes separately from the settings you use for HD-DVD and games, then switch modes when you go from one to the other.

Thanks for the reply. Based on all my other devices (Dish DVR, Panasonic DVD player, HD DVD, etc) I'd have to say the 360's DVD output is incorrect...WAY incorrect. The idea of having to manually switch color presets every time I go between Gaming/HD-DVD and reg DVD viewing sounds like a huge PITA. Guess I'll just get an new upconverting DVD player for regular DVD viewing.

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your going to buy a new DVD player because hitting one button on the remote is to difficult? Doesn't make much sense to me. The Sony also has different persistent settings on each input so you don't even have to hit a button just change the input.

I have custom picture setting set for night time viewing and standard setting for daytime and just hit the picture mode button.

-Craig

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply. Based on all my other devices (Dish DVR, Panasonic DVD player, HD DVD, etc) I'd have to say the 360's DVD output is incorrect...WAY incorrect.

Well, if those other devices are on their own inputs with their own settings, you wouldn't notice it like you do on a 360. The DVD output could be technically wrong in some way, I don't know. You can see it's well within the range of being able to be calibrated for though. That makes games and HD-DVD wrong, but I thought that was to be expected due to differences in HD and SD.

Is there some reason you don't use your Pansonic? I have an Oppo, and the difference between 480/720/1080 on an A2000 is by no means dramatic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air /forum/post/0

Your going to buy a new DVD player because hitting one button on the remote is to difficult? Doesn't make much sense to me. The Sony also has different persistent settings on each input so you don't even have to hit a button just change the input.

I have custom picture setting set for night time viewing and standard setting for daytime and just hit the picture mode button.

-Craig

Well, there would be on switching of inputs since were talking about once device and one input here. RIght now I have everything set up with a Harmony remote, so unless that can be programmed to do all the color preset switching based on activity chosen it's not going to work for me. This all has to be VERY wife freindly in the end and not require "thinking" each time we go between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM407 /forum/post/0

but I thought that was to be expected due to differences in HD and SD.

Is there some reason you don't use your Pansonic? I have an Oppo, and the difference between 480/720/1080 on an A2000 is by no means dramatic.

Based on all the tests I've done with other SD equipment it looks like the Xbox is wrong. I was just wondering if the "live switching" of the singal resolution from 1080 to 480 might be throwing the TV off somehow. The reason I'm not using my old panny dvd player is that my component inputs are full and I need one with HDMI.

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have the same issue on my 50a2000. i just deal with it and try to get every movie i like in hd-dvd form. i also have my samsung upconvert hooked up running at 1080i but that player still looks horrible. i was thinking of trying the vga as to upconvert to 768p to see if its a 480p component thing.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0

Well, there would be on switching of inputs since were talking about once device and one input here. RIght now I have everything set up with a Harmony remote, so unless that can be programmed to do all the color preset switching based on activity chosen it's not going to work for me. This all has to be VERY wife freindly in the end and not require "thinking" each time we go between.

I'm not real sure if you can add the mode command to an activity and then have two activities like Play Games and Watch DVDs work the way you want. You'd have to ask in the remote forum.

You can put any of the commands on a soft button though, and the one you want is called PictureMode. So you'd just have to push that one button once your calibrated settings were saved. I think that would be easy to manage - if the TV looks too dark or too bright, push this button.

Quote:
Based on all the tests I've done with other SD equipment it looks like the Xbox is wrong. I was just wondering if the "live switching" of the singal resolution from 1080 to 480 might be throwing the TV off somehow.

It shouldn't. The TV reports the resolution correctly, right? My cable STB switches resolutions when I go between SD and HD channels without anything getting messed up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.