Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55pp9352 HELP URGENT!

Sorry About shouting...bit of a time crunch.

I work for a hotel, and our lounge has 2 hidef TVs (Philips 55pp9352) that are just being fed a crappy analog signal. I was hoping to get them both up and running on HD OTA signals as well as DirecTVHD.

The company I called couldn't get a dish/cable run by tomorrow's AFC/NFC championship games, but they did send a guy with an RCA DirecTV HD receiver and an OTA Antenna. They'll wire the rest on Monday in time for next weekend's superbowl.

The antenna he brought wasn't strong enough (signal went in/out) so he went to buy a stronger one. Hopefully that will solve that problem.

Our other problem is the notorious black bars to the side of the image. I thought the Philips would scale up the input to 1080i to fill the screen, but it doesnt do that for all channels. Specifically I need Fox and CBS to fill the screen.

How do I force the TV to scale the input to 1080i? Or is that done from the receiver? I tried telling the receiver to use the 'fill' option for the monitor, but it has no effect.

Anyone? I know the geniuses in this forum can help! :)

James

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Go into the setup menu for the reciever. Select A/V setup and you should get a list of options. Look for Screen Ration and select 16:9. You will see bars on the side when there is no hd signal, i.e. during a commercial. You cannot force it from the tv.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...we tried that but i'll look at it again in the am

James

·
2,436 Posts
Make sure that what you are watching is a hi def program. A non HD program even on an HD channel will have black bars on the side. Only a program shot in HD will fill your screen. Also make sure to use the HD input on the back if the set!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
Make sure that what you are watching is a hi def program. A non HD program even on an HD channel will have black bars on the side. Only a program shot in HD will fill your screen. Also make sure to use the HD input on the back if the set!
Thanks for the tips!

Things all worked out.

I was BLOWN AWAY by the football in Hi-Def (although CBS was far better than FOX). Then I switched over to the PBS feed and was FLOORED. They were showing a demo loop and then an HDNET football. Some penny ante game, but it looked UNREAL (or really real) :)

I've been lurking this forum while shopping for a Rear Proj. HDTV for myself, but now I'm definitely pulling the trigger on this purchase!!!

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.