AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the SO to go for HDTV and have narrowed it down to the Philips 55pp9701 ($2699 Costco) or the Mits WS-55819 ($2999). Leaning twords the Philips after hearing of incredible HD images, but have a few concerns. I have seen a few posts about progressive DVD players not syncing correctly, is this a per unit problem or across the boards? Does the philips have significantly fewer zoom options than the Mits? And finally at the local Circuit city the Philips image looked jagged compared to the Mits with an analog signal. Would this be resolved with Digital Cable/dss/direct tv, or is this a problem with non-progressive images on this set. Appreciate any info and opinions you could offer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have the 60PP9601, which is the same projector hardware as the 55PP9701 but with a taller screen (4:3) and lower price tag.

Quote:
I have seen a few posts about progressive DVD players not syncing correctly, is this a per unit problem or across the boards?
I believe this is pure ignorance. A SGTHT article spread this misconception. Unlike most HD-ready sets, no input on the Philips sets accept both 480i and 480p. Here is the breakdown:

ANT A - antenna 480i

ANT B - antenna 480i

AUX 1 - s-video and component 480i

AUX 2 - s-video and component 480i

AUX 3 - s-video

AUX 4 - HD component 480p/960i, 540p/1080i, 600p/1200i

AUX 5 - HD RGB/VGA 480p/960i, 540p/1080i, 600p/1200i

There was one person here with a 64PH9905 whose HD component input was dead on arrival, but he eventually got it repaired. Other than that, I've only heard people being confused, not actual bugs.

With the Philips HD inputs accepting VGA (480p/960i), HD (540p/1080i), and SVGA (600p/1200i), and also 4 different sync modes, I can understand why Philips didn't want to complicate things further by also having a 480i mode into the HD inputs.

Quote:
Does the philips have significantly fewer zoom options than the Mits?
On the non-HD inputs, the Philips have a lot of 4:3 modes, and I can't imagine that the Mits would have more, but I don't know the details of the Mits.

On the HD inputs, you pretty much have to roll your own zoom. You have distinct service parameters and convergence memories for each of the following combinations of display modes and display formats:

VGA-VIDEO

VGA-WIDESCREEN

HD-VIDEO

HD-WIDESCREEN

SVGA-VIDEO

SVGA-WIDESCREEN

(PC=WIDESCREEN.)

For example, my HDTV receiver (an accessDTV card) does not have a zoom. So using the service menu, I modified HD-VIDEO mode to do a zoom, taking a 4:3 1080i picture that appears letterboxed on all four sides on my 4:3 60PP9601 and expanding it to fill my 4:3 screen. HD-WIDESCREEN mode is the regular non-zoom mode. With a single button on a universal remote, I can toggle between the two modes.

Note that those six parameter and convergence memory areas are shared across inputs. Also, VGA-VIDEO mode corresponds to your 480i input mode.

Quote:
And finally at the local Circuit city the Philips image looked jagged compared to the Mits with an analog signal. Would this be resolved with Digital Cable/dss/direct tv, or is this a problem with non-progressive images on this set. Appreciate any info and opinions you could offer.
I think the Mits' line doubler of last year is much worse than the Philips - not sure about the new Mits. Anyway, the Philips line doubler is not good, and worse, 480i input tends to look washed out for some reason. I highly recommend getting a 480p DVDO iScan Pro, 600p Faroudja, or 1080i HTPC external line doubler for this set, so that you never have to input 480i directly to your set. The color is extremely impressive going into the HD inputs.

This Philips set is an exceptional HD monitor, and a good HTPC monitor. If neither of those things are important to you, then look elsewhere.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.