AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After searching the forums and sending an email to FOX, I was not able to find any information about this. Will the Emmy's this Sunday be in FOX widescreen with DD 5.1? Although I will be watching Buffalo at Miami in glorious HDTV, my girlfriend would be pleased with Faux widescreen. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,646 Posts
I haven't heard anything regarding this. It seems unlikely, but one never knows for sure until the event.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
We are currently in progress with our first full run-thru and I'm pleased to tell you that, yes, we are presenting the Emmy Awards in widescreen, or as Fox calls it: "enhanced resolution", whatever that means. It's certainly not as nice as HD, but anything that gets people used to watching 16x9 works for me. Also, the set is beautiful and should translate nicely in widescreen.


Enjoy,

Allan
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,646 Posts
Thanks for the update, Allan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,556 Posts
no fox widescreen here in chicago btw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
So what kind of camera's are used for Fox's "faux" HD as opposed to a normal HD broadcast?
We are using the same Sony cameras that we would use for an SD 4x3 telecast. The optical blocks have been swapped for 16x9 aspect ratio blocks. An HD broadcast would use HD native cameras.


Allan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Wells
We are currently in progress with our first full run-thru and I'm pleased to tell you that, yes, we are presenting the Emmy Awards in widescreen, or as Fox calls it: "enhanced resolution", whatever that means. It's certainly not as nice as HD, but anything that gets people used to watching 16x9 works for me. Also, the set is beautiful and should translate nicely in widescreen.


Enjoy,

Allan
Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Wells
We are using the same Sony cameras that we would use for an SD 4x3 telecast. The optical blocks have been swapped for 16x9 aspect ratio blocks. An HD broadcast would use HD native cameras.


Allan
Allan: That's great insider information. I hope you continue to participate on this forum. I don't know if you are connected with FOX or are only working on the Emmys.......... but Thanks.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DOBE

I don't know if you are connected with CBS....

The Emmys are on Fox. If they were on CBS, they'd be in HDTV, not Fox Widescreen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,014 Posts
Thanks Allan. Interesting stuff.


I suspected that Fox was using HD cameras to shoot the live stuff and just downconverted to SD (it would make sense for archival purposes), but I guess not.


Can you give us a little info on their taped programming? Which widescreen shows are shot in HD? I'm not aware of which Fox shows are shot with video or film.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
You are thinking the 2003 Grammys, those were on CBS. Last year's Emmys were on NBC. The Grammys are a CBS property, the Emmys rotates between all 4 networks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
You are thinking the 2003 Grammys, those were on CBS. Last year's Emmys were on NBC. The Grammys are a CBS property, the Emmys rotates between all 4 networks.
OK. I give up. However, the point of my original post was to thank Allan and that wasn't a mistake. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Thanks Allan. Interesting stuff.


I suspected that Fox was using HD cameras to shoot the live stuff and just downconverted to SD (it would make sense for archival purposes), but I guess not.


Can you give us a little info on their taped programming? Which widescreen shows are shot in HD? I'm not aware of which Fox shows are shot with video or film.
I am actually a freelancer. I'm not certain what Fox does other than what I see on-air. I would suspect most "reusable" programs that are aired widescreen are actually shot HD for archival purposes, plus with FOX going 720p next fall, they could use the HD for reruns. That would commit them to posting in HD right now, however, which I'm not sure anybody wants to pay for...so, who knows.


Allan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
well here in philly there is no ota feed for fox digital, but on comcast channel 183 the digital feed is showing the 4x3 aspect on my tv.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top