AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I noticed in another thread that the new Yamaha consumes 500 watts. That got me curious about my new 55TXi. Guess what it says on the back: 600 watts.

Obviously if this is the max. power that 55TXi can consume, there is no way it can put out a true 100W x 7.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Patrick

· Registered
813 Posts
Patrick,

The 49TXi is rated at 720 watts, but in independent tests it tested at 144 watts x6= 864 watts output. Input had to be much higher. The 49TXi has a 14 awg power cord. It needs it. Four ohm tests went over 200 watts per channel in some tests.

The 55TXi has not been tested yet, but should keep up with the 45TX. The 45TX exceeded its specs all channels driven.

I would not put too much stock in the power rating; I would worry if the power cord is not 14 awg.

Bill

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMcGoo

I would not put too much stock in the power rating; I would worry if the power cord is not 14 awg.

Bill
Thanks Bill!

· Registered
673 Posts
I too was wondering on my 53tx. I think that the power rating is not referring to a max power rating. From the 45tx tests we can deduce that it must refer to something else.

I guess regardless it is plenty for me, just the pair of Axiom M22s crossed at 80 hz were hitting a sustained 105+ db at about 9 feet, then I backed up and couldn't hear any degradation at that level (I can't hear minor distortion at 105 dB :)) but all is good. No problems with lower impedence speakers either, I have QS8s (6 Ohm) and run them loud with no problems. I have no idea how loud my system will go without audible distortion, but in my room it is well beyond concert levels, (not including the sub).

I am going to hunt around to see what the max power actually is. The elites seem to have very good amps though....

***also does anyone have the link to the Uk mag that rated the 45tx power levels? Now that i have an elite i want to reread it.

· Registered
517 Posts
I have a pdf file of the review that another member provided me.

If you PM or post your email address I can send it to you.

Also, did anyone confirm the 14 AWG power cord on the 53 or 55?

-Gerry

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Since I was one of the original whiners, I feel obligated to help drive the discussion to a more productive end ...

There are two parts to this:

#1 - The rating of the speaker outputs per magazines or similar

#2 - The ratings of the entire unit as noted on the back

It seems we (I) were making assumptions about the relationship of these two items and focusing more on the "errors" in #1 but we (I) didn't go into #2. That's too bad, since we know quite a bit about #1 but know very little about #2.

How do the listed-on-the-back power consumption ratings work? Who rates them, what is the purpose of the rating, and what are the guidelines used (max power until catches on fire, max power "expected" over an hour, etc.)

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.