AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo,

I'm looking to replace my dad's aging 56" rear projection set, and my main goal is to make sure the new one is at least the size of the old, and preferably larger. This puts it well outside the realm of what counts as 'affordable' in the LCD market for me, but leaves several plasmas. I'm primarily looking at the PN58A650 from Samsung, and the LG 60PS11. I presently have a 40" Samsung LCD and have always been happy with it, but I don't have any experience with LG. That being said, the LG is less expensive by $100. There's also the PN58A550, which is $200 less than the 650, though I was never particularly fond of the LNxxA550 series.

Does anyone have an opinion on those particular models, or, perhaps, just on the brands?

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
IMO, since Pioneer is out of the business, Panasonic is #1, Samsung #2, and LG #3. Of course, if you ask 3 people, you'll get 5 different answers! Whether the differences in price is worth it to you, only you can answer. Quite honestly, all would give a great PQ for you, but you really need to read up on the relevant threads to see the pros and cons of each.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
He'll likely be happy with any of the sets you're looking at.

I would go with the LG due to size and price. Bigger is always better when it comes to tvs and he is used to the 56" size already. Upping the screen size will be an improvement, regardless of the technical merits of the set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.