AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the entire 5000x series and troubleshooting threads and can't seem to find the solution to my problem. I posted in them too but got no response.

I have a new 5670 running the 8.69 driver and Realtek 2.39, with a Denon EDID override to my Denon 790 receiver. OS is Windows 7 x64. This is not about bitstreaming as I've got that to work. What has been driving me nuts in the past few days is that I lose sound almost everytime an application finishes a sound. For example:

I boot up the HTPC, sound working normal. Run Windows Media Center. Then whether I do anything in the WMC or not, after I exit it, I lose sound from the receiver. It still displays "Mul Chn In", but whatever you run, there is just no sound. To fix the problem, I have to "mute" the system sound of Windows, then unmute it. It then works again, till I switch an applicaiton the next time.

It never happens "during" any sound playback. For example if I'm listening to music or watching some video, the sound never stops midway. It happens whenever an app finishes with that sound. I checked all the settings of Windows (set to 7.1) and Denon, tried different drivers (including Realtek 2.35, 2.42, ATI HDMI driver), re-installed OS, and just can't fix it. It never happened with my old 4550.

Is this a handshake issue? I'm on the verge of returning this card.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have about the same setup as you except for OS bit flavor and have not noticed this annoyance. Does this happen with any audio format? HD audio only versus legacy? May want to try setting Windows audio mixer to 24-bit 48 kHz.

Sapphire 5670/8.69_RC3

Win7 x86

Realtek 2.42

Denon AVR-1910

Windows audio set to 7.1

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptalent /forum/post/18143939

I've read through the entire 5000x series and troubleshooting threads and can't seem to find the solution to my problem. I posted in them too but got no response.

I have a new 5670 running the 8.69 driver and Realtek 2.39, with a Denon EDID override to my Denon 790 receiver. OS is Windows 7 x64. This is not about bitstreaming as I've got that to work. What has been driving me nuts in the past few days is that I lose sound almost everytime an application finishes a sound. For example:

I boot up the HTPC, sound working normal. Run Windows Media Center. Then whether I do anything in the WMC or not, after I exit it, I lose sound from the receiver. It still displays "Mul Chn In", but whatever you run, there is just no sound. To fix the problem, I have to "mute" the system sound of Windows, then unmute it. It then works again, till I switch an applicaiton the next time.

It never happens "during" any sound playback. For example if I'm listening to music or watching some video, the sound never stops midway. It happens whenever an app finishes with that sound. I checked all the settings of Windows (set to 7.1) and Denon, tried different drivers (including Realtek 2.35, 2.42, ATI HDMI driver), re-installed OS, and just can't fix it. It never happened with my old 4550.

Is this a handshake issue? I'm on the verge of returning this card.

Usually the first thing I do is turn off windows sounds along with 7MC sounds. I have a 5670 and since I don't use the OS sound scheme I never noticed it. I wouldn't return a card because of the annoyance, seems to me if you can live without the OS sounds then your problem might be solved.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
System sound isnt the issue here. I have them turned off. It's the applications sound that get affected.

For example:

I start Windows Media Center and watch a movie. Exit it. Start Windows Media Player to play a song. No sound. After muting-unmuting, sound comes back.

Basically after running any application that uses sound, I have to mute/umute in order to use another application that plays sound.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ok I just tried this and don't get the audio drop when switching from 7MC to MP. Maybe check for driver conflicts in system & security. I'm using 10.1 hot fix with the same Realtek drivers on W7 64.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.