AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don't own a LD player, I do own a Toshiba widescreen. Personally, I don't think the source hardware has anything to do with what wide mode you use, which is why I'm replying to this post.

It's generally accepted that you use Full for anamorphic transfers. Period.

If the original film is in 4x3 OAR, then you should use standard. Or, you can stretch it out with TW1 if you don't mind a little stretch and want to fill up more of your screen.

TW2 is good for non-anamorphic 2.35:1 OAR films, as it stretches up and down, reducing the size of the letterboxes. However, keep in mind that by stretching in this way in TW2, you're also more likely to see scan lines, depending upon how tight your focus (and G2 settings) are.

For widescreen features (from my dvd player) other than 2.35:1, I only use TW1. I also use TW1 for regular broadcast tv and satellite viewing. TW1 is a subtle stretch, if it's converged properly.

I never use TW3. In fact, I've never even converged it.

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
609 Posts
TW 1 Streches and distorts but does not crop

TW 2 Blows up - best for letterboxed pictures. I also use this for normal TV and noncritical viewing (when I want to avoid burnin). For this case I drop the picture by the maximum amount so feet and not heads are cut off.

TW 3 Never use

------------------

·
Registered
376 Posts
I read that it may not be possible to use the TW-1 stretch mode on Toshiba sets, if you use the Toshiba Stb. Is there any way around this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings 56H80 owners! While watching LD's, which theater-wide mode do you use? Is it the same mode you would use for non-anamorphic dvd's? Does aspect ratio influence your decision?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.