AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to me like U.S. appliance has these tv's at $989 and will ship them free including white glove in house delivery (there is a $30 processing fee). It looks like the free shipping is good thru Jan 31, 2008, after that date I believe they say its $69, if there is still any left in stock, but I could be wrong about this and anything else here.

It's my understanding RP CRT's are no longer being made. My local Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. no longer stocks any of them.

The following link says the TV has free white glove delivery.

I am sorry but having less than 3 posts, this forum will not allow me to post the URL. but dub dub dub dot us-appliance dot com gets in the front door

I have the same tv in 65" size for a year and love it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowDrivr /forum/post/12968980

Looks to me like U.S. appliance has these tv's at $989 and will ship them free including white glove in house delivery (there is a $30 processing fee). It looks like the free shipping is good thru Jan 31, 2008, after that date I believe they say its $69, if there is still any left in stock, but I could be wrong about this and anything else here.

It's my understanding RP CRT's are no longer being made. My local Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. no longer stocks any of them.

The following link says the TV has free white glove delivery.

I am sorry but having less than 3 posts, this forum will not allow me to post the URL. but dub dub dub dot us-appliance dot com gets in the front door

I have the same tv in 65" size for a year and love it.
http://www.uecweb.com/index.php?p=pr...d=293&parent=0

http://www.uecweb.com/index.php?p=pr...d=290&parent=0

Here are links to the UEC WEB store (Hitachi's "official" refurb/new discontinued stock seller).

The 1st is for the 57" - $649 w/ free S&H

2nd is for the 51" - $589 w/ free S&H

Both list as having 1 yr factory warranty, which means they are likely brand new, not refurbs.

"White Glove" shipping (basically open the box & dispose of packing materials) will run you $200 more per set.

UEC Wed's stock fluctuates, sometimes daily. But several Hitachi owners have been pleased with UEC's service.

2006 was the last official production year for the F59s--the last of Hitachi's CRT RPTVs (although there may be a few with early '07 build dates) & some of the last of the tech period. And overall some of the best for the price by far.

Although it can be a bit buggy for some, it's nice to have a CRT set w/ HDMI.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
"a bit buggy" is an understatement

In less than 1.5yrs my HDMI port died twice... hardware died, black screen.

not to mention the other HDMI software issues they have. And that was just using DVI input, not a "true" HDMI version. They cannot even sync properly with good 'ol DVI... great engineering!

The PQ is excellent if you tweak the hell out of it... like I did. But the convergence drifts badly. So you must keep up on it constantly. I locked in the conv and saved it to the ROM so Magic Focus works well once you do that.

All-in-all it is more hassle than it is worth to tweak and maintain... and deal with the "issues"... Hitachi is buying mine back since they decided not to fix the HDMI problem. The buy back is a PITA and I'm in month #2 waiting for this to get done... after many "misunderstandings" Hitachi's CSRs had but insisting they were right... until the manager at Hitachi stepped in 3 weeks later... they wasted 3 weeks of time, and about 10 hours I personally spent dealing with the buy back.

Then I'll wait another few weeks for the refund check!

I'm going to avoid Hitachi from now on... and I suggest others do also.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/12974860

"a bit buggy" is an understatement

In less than 1.5yrs my HDMI port died twice... hardware died, black screen.

not to mention the other HDMI software issues they have. And that was just using DVI input, not a "true" HDMI version. They cannot even sync properly with good 'ol DVI... great engineering!

The PQ is excellent if you tweak the hell out of it... like I did. But the convergence drifts badly. So you must keep up on it constantly. I locked in the conv and saved it to the ROM so Magic Focus works well once you do that.

All-in-all it is more hassle than it is worth to tweak and maintain... and deal with the "issues"... Hitachi is buying mine back since they decided not to fix the HDMI problem. The buy back is a PITA and I'm in month #2 waiting for this to get done... after many "misunderstandings" Hitachi's CSRs had but insisting they were right... until the manager at Hitachi stepped in 3 weeks later... they wasted 3 weeks of time, and about 10 hours I personally spent dealing with the buy back.

Then I'll wait another few weeks for the refund check!

I'm going to avoid Hitachi from now on... and I suggest others do also.

I must add that overall, your case is the minority.

HDMI issues? Yes. For some, they are worse than others.

For me, they have always been pretty damn infrequent. The most ever to happen occured with my D* DVR going into HDMI. 2 different DVD players performed much better. And since updating my Toshiba HD A2 to the current 2.8 FW last week (and using it A LOT since the WGA strike has pretty much killed fall TV for me), I have had ZERO shifts. Does'nt mean I won't, but so far.....nothing.

Convergence on my 51" has been rock solid. Haven't had to tweak it for some time & the last overhaul was only after cleaning the optics.

Syncing DVI-to-HDMI is a problem for ALL manufacturers. Not a Hitachi-specific problem. HDMI in general is a PITA, as there are still no real industry standards. But the MPAA loves it, so the future is HDMI.

My F59 is the 2nd Hitachi HDTV I owned & been satisfied with. At the current UEC Web prices, picking up a 2nd is tempting.

Livin....I know about the issues you have had. Not unlike other issues some people have had with virtually every brand of HDTV at some point.

But the good far outweighs the bad in terms of people's experiences with the F59s here @ AVS.

To the OP.....it's up to you. The UEC Web deals are pretty smokin' & won't last very long. If you do jump on one, keep in mind that there is plenty of "unofficial" support on the F59-centric AVS threads (at least 3 dedicated threads + Mr Bob's CRT RPTV thread) should you have any questions/concerns/etc.

Most F59 owners have been happy with their sets. I'm willing to bet you will be, too.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Wow guys thanks for posting about this. I just ordered one. I wish they would have had the 65F59 though, as that is what I really wanted. I bought a 51F59 for my parents, and then talked a buddy into buying a 57F59. I was saving up to buy a 65F59, and when I got the money and walked into the store they had all stopped carrying them the week before. I was very upset.

This TV will be replacing my Hitachi 61SDX01B in my living room, which will move into my bedroom to replace the old Sony 61" standard def XBR TV that has issues with the red CRT shutting off after a few minutes of play. The F59's aren't quite as nice of a build quality as my SDX, but I will finally be able to get rid of the grey letterbox bars when watching Hi-def, and I won't have the screen blackout issues when a bright fast moving object appears on the screen.

Thanks again for this info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 65" model, as stated above. Sure the HDMI goes squirlly once or twice a week or so, but a simple off/on reset cures that. Definately not a big deal.

Other than that, no issues, no problems, picture better than any Plasma I've seen.

But, my 65" model weighs 350 pounds, big as a full size upright piano. Not exactly svelte and sexy.

One thing, these CRT RP's all come with built in stands, so that's more $ saved.

Our living room is 30' long. The front of the couch is only back 15' from the front of the TV, sweet spot to our liking for best HD viewing. Seated on couch puts you back to 16' . Couch and TV are both about 30" front to back, roughly, so 20' size room plus another foot for clearance seems best, although 2 or 3 feet less would be Ok.

65 incher is on casters and it rolls if you lean on it a bit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts