AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used DVE to sucessfully (relatively spreaking) set contrast, brightness sharpness and red and blue, but the green is still way off no matter what I do in the standard menu. I am willing to give the service menu a shot but I will need some guidance. Can someone tell me what settings I might need to look at to fix this problem? Also, how does wone adjust convergence on this model?

Thanks,

XH

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrahuge
C'mon - help a guy out.
Go to the Popular Threads thread, which is a sticky at the top of this forum.

Several threads you will want to check out:

Hitachi Tweaks (CRT) Q&A

Hitachi S500/S700 Owners thread

·
Registered
87 Posts
do a search regarding hitachi S500 models or hitachi tweaks. you'll find more info than you can handle.

for convergence, you can run the magic focus through the user menu. from there you can also change the auto focus feature to manual. once it's in manual mode, just start it and it'll bring up a 170-some-odd point convergence screen. use your remote joystick to navigate through the different points (only when the cursor is white). press the joystick (OK) to select blue or red. when either of these is selected, you can adjust the blue or red convergence at the selected point on the screen. just mess around with it.....pretty easy to figure out.

most people recommend straightening the blue grid first, starting from the middle of the screen and working your way out. then going back and aligning the red grid with it. repeat as necessary. you'll be able to tell when the red/blue align properly at each point when the lines become perfectly (or as perfectly as possible) white.

hope that helped some. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeowza. That thread is scary. There seem to be a ton of tweaks that are just over my head. Like I said, my red and blue are great, but green is funky - what are the most logical SM tweaks so I don't go nuts and screw everything up?

Also, how the hell do you get to the SM? I read that you push Power + input, but I don't see an input button. What am I missing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you get into the SM, the easiest and most agreeable fix is to change COLORGO from 0 to 1. this will optimize your red levels. even if you think they're good now, just change it then go back and adjust your user menu settings with avia/DVE again. it should work a little better.

one of the fixes for green push was to set G-STR-0 to 00, but i believe the S500 models come that way from the factory.

read around the threads mentioned above for a good list of things. you can adjust your colors more subtlely from the SM, as well as the sharpness and tint, etc. read around the threads for more info.

don't forget to push the joystick (OK) each time you want to save a setting change you've made. good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first thing I noticed about hte green is that peoples skin tones have a green tint to them. I ran DVE went to the color band and set blue and red up with no problem using the color mask thing (not sure what it is called). But no matter what I did with the green color decoder it would not look unifrom (even black and green bars when view through the mask). That is why I am looking for help in fixing the green.

Thanks for you help.

PS - Still not sure how to get into the SM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
see all major threads concerning hitachi tweaks.......especially the sticky post at the TOP OF THE BOARD.......for getting into the SM.

assuming you'll see this first anyway, here's how to get in.....

turn the tv OFF. go to the front panel of the tv and hold the INPUT/EXIT button. while continuing to hold it in, turn the tv ON from the front panel. hold both the power button and the I/E button until the screen comes up. you should see whatever you were watching before, with a menu on top. realease both buttons. with the joystick on the remote scroll up until you get to ISF MODE. press either right or OK on the joystick (one works, if not both). this will bring you into the SM. scroll up/down with the stick or press MENU to jump faster through the settings. press right/left to change each one of the settings and press OK to confirm changes to each setting you change (redundant). you can change inputs while you're in the menu, so you can view DVE/avia on your dvd player or cable/sat or whatever.....just press the corresponding input buttons.

BE CAREFUL.....there are a ton of settings in the SM. WRITE DOWN everything you change (what you changed it from and what you changed it to) so you can fix any screw ups. and don't change anything you're not sure about until you read something about it.

MOST IMPORTANT.....SEARCH this forum and read other links regarding the hitachi settings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Green tint is common with the S series. Once you get to the cuts(low IRE) and drives (High IRE)in the service menu drop the greens by as much as 10 notches on Standard or Medium to see what it looks like. Cutting green too much will make dark scenes too dark. Black enhancement can help get rid of Green tint in dark scenes.Contrary to popular belief changing Med and Std effected High more than the other way around for my 51s500. Typically the blue cut is too high on High.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrahuge
The first thing I noticed about hte green is that peoples skin tones have a green tint to them. I ran DVE went to the color band and set blue and red up with no problem using the color mask thing (not sure what it is called). But no matter what I did with the green color decoder it would not look unifrom (even black and green bars when view through the mask). That is why I am looking for help in fixing the green.

Thanks for you help.

PS - Still not sure how to get into the SM.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
The color decoder can be modified by the following parameters in the service menu.

RY-PH-4 Phase (Hue)

RY-PH-F Phase (Hue)

RY-PH-G Phase (Hue)

R/B-GA4 Gain (Saturation)

R/B-GAF Gain (Saturation)

R/B-GAG Gain (Saturation)

GY-PH-4 Phase (Hue)

GY-PH-F Phase (Hue)

GY-PH-G Phase (Hue)

G/B-GA4 Gain (Saturation)

G/B-GAF Gain (Saturation)

G/B-GAG Gain (Saturation)

To get into the service menu you press input + power. This can be kinda tricky, you have to release the input button right after you hit the power button.

To get to the above parameters, go up through the service mode menu until you get to the ISF Mode menu... Highlight and Right Arrow...

Page down a few pages and you will see the above parameters...

The 4,F,and G suffixes correlate to the different modes 480I,480P,1080I respectively.

Using the AVIA color bars you can decrease RED push by modifying the the parameters that begin with R. And likewise you can make modifications to the Green portion of the decoder by modifying the parameters prefixing with G.

This is just some of the stuff I found.....

There is alot more if you need it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Service menu suffixes

FWX20b/UWX20b/SWX20b/TWX20b/XWX20b/F500

4 - 480i Composite, S-Video

F - 480i/480p Component

G - 720p/1080i Component HDTV

S500/S700 (from BillG)

First Letter:

3-NTSC [480i Composite, S-Video]

D-SDTV [480i/480p Component]

E-HDTV [720p/1080i Component HDTV, DVI 480p]

Second Letter:

H-High Temp

M-Medium Temp

S-Standard Temp

B-Black and White Temp

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile_walt
Green tint is common with the S series. Once you get to the cuts(low IRE) and drives (High IRE)in the service menu drop the greens by as much as 10 notches on Standard or Medium to see what it looks like. Cutting green too much will make dark scenes too dark. Black enhancement can help get rid of Green tint in dark scenes.Contrary to popular belief changing Med and Std effected High more than the other way around for my 51s500. Typically the blue cut is too high on High.
Please do not recommend folks screw with their gray scale unless the color decoder has already been dialed in. Then give proper instructions to adjust cuts by eye.

Gray scale vs. Color Decoding

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I made my first pass at the SM, and things still are not quite right. I know I wil have to make furhter adjustments. Below are the settings I changed. Right now I am only trying to correct the video 3 (S video) input, which is my Tivo, since that is the one I most often watch. I will get to the other ones later. I only list the values I changed, the first Value is oringal, then my changed value. It should be noted that my color temp is on medium.

COLORGO 00 01

G-DRV-M 49 50

G-CUT-M 7F 70

GY-PH3 02 00

G/B GA3M 03 06

I really did not see much difference when I changed the CUT value. Mind you I really have not idea what cut means, I am just tweaking until it looks better (meaning closer to what DVE tells me the green pattern should look like). So I am just wondering if there are any settings I might have missed, or changed incorrectly or any other suggestions to further my quest for correct greens.

Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Please do not recommend folks screw with their gray scale unless the color decoder has already been dialed in. Then give proper instructions to adjust cuts by eye.

Gray scale vs. Color Decoding
Would you mind describing/explaining this further? (I couldn't get to that link, BTW)

I am trying to learn this stuff and...

I was under the impression that you need to set the gray scale first. In DVE, I thought the idea of the color bars was to isolate a gun, then set the individual colors to the reference gray background. If the gray scale is off (too much red, blue, green) you will be setting your colors to the wrong reference.

Are you saying that you need to get the decoder close, then grayscale, then touch up decoder?

Also, is this right?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is the composition of the DVE color bars:

Gray background => 50% R, 50% G, and 50% B

Red Square => 50% R

Green Square => 50% G

Blue Square => 50% B

Cyan Square => 50% B and 50% G

Magenta Square => 50% B and 50% R

Yellow Square => 50% R and 50% G

-----------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be appreciated.

Dutch

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cannot get into the service menu....

Holding input, then pressing power, then releasing input...

No luck.

Do I need a bag of chicken bones or what?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got into the service menu of my 57S500 by turning the TV off, then opening the front panel, holing down the "Exit" button then holding down the "Power" button and when the power light came on releasing both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.