AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am using a 10 year old sony 32"xbr and am getting ready to upgrade to projection for the first time. From reading the forum for a while now, it appears that two of the favorites are the Hitachi SWX and the Sony GWII. Is the sony worth double the cost of the hitachi? i am aware of the burn in issues. Is the black level really that much of a big deal. I have friends and family that have rptv's and the black level looks horrible compared to my direct view. It seems like going to the bigger size tv's will cost you your blacks no matter what.

anyway, my viewing habbits are:

75% direct tv sd

15% dvd

10% ps2

I also watch in a light controlled room with cinema quest back light.

Which one would work best for me? Also, did anyone ever post a fix for the hitachis lime green problem?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Mnc,

It is really hard to answer a question like "Is the black level really such a big deal". What may be perfectly acceptable to one person may look like sh$% to another. For me, while I wished blacks were a little darker on the GWII it doesn't bother me at all in day-to-day viewing. If you can find these TVs in your local area you really should go out and take a look at them. That probably does more to answer your questions than anyone on this forum can do.

-Rob-

·
Registered
105 Posts
go with the SWX and take the rest of the money you would spend on the sony and save it for a few years when LCD's and other technologies are cheaper and better. for now RPTV's are the best pic for the money. i have an SWX and was tempted at getting the 50" GWII and i'm glad i didn't waste the extra $1500. i just had it ISF calibrated and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well I can't fairly comment on the Hitachi since I haven't owned one, but I have looked at them quite extensively in the stores.

I recently returned my second Toshiba 65HDX82 which is similar to the Hitachi and now have the Sony GWII 50". I was really happy with the Toshiba except for a couple of issues that had me return two of them. Outside of those issues I thought the PQ was amazing on the Tosh. That is, until I got my GWII home. WOW ! I kid you not, the PQ difference was staggering. Like night and day. The Toshiba looked great on most things but there would be some DVD's or games that just didn't look that great and would surprise me. Now, these same DVD's or games look phenomenal. I was stunned. Things that I thought looked great before now looked unbelievable. My girlfriend was floored. We were actually embarrassed that we thought the Toshiba looked so amazing now that we are watching the Sony. The LCD makes things so damn crisp and sharp and clear, it's like looking into a mirror. People have said that the picture on the GWII's looks slightly 2-D. I have the complete opposite reaction. The depth and accurate color separation makes things look very 3 dimensional to me. Much more than on a CRT.

PLEASE do not think I am bashing Toshiba or CRT's or 'pro' Sony. I just cannot get over the PQ difference. I had tweaked the heck out of the Toshiba too. And the Sony blows it away right out of the box. I must have a great cable SD reception because I think basic cable looks fantastic. Much better than my Toshiba. I cannot believe all the people complaining about the poor SD quality on the Sony. I guess people have really bad signals. I don't know !?!?!?

I looked at the Sony GWII 60" right next to the Hitachi 65" at the store with HDNet running and they were pretty close, however, the GWII had a sharper, crisper, more 3-D picture to me. Yes, the Sony is not quite as good on darker scenes. The LCD makes really dark scenes a tad washed out looking, but the rest of the picture more than makes up for it in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mnc,

My opinion pretty much falls in line with goodrich and mfusick. I have the GWII and it's kind of like a love/hate thing. There are times when I marvel at the crisp picture and other times when the inferior black level kind of bums me out.

Before I bought this TV I was considering the Hitachi SWX. If I had gone w/ a CRT RPTV this is the one I would have chosen. Being as it is half the price of the Sony GWII, I would recommend you get the Hitachi while you wait for all of the new technologies (LCD,DLP, LCoS) to be perfected. In 2-4 years when you're replacing your set, you'll be glad you spent $2,500 instead of $4,000 !

Wish I'd been smart enough to follow my own advice!!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which one of these would you say presents the following:

-better shadow detail, not so much darker blacks just more detailed

-more accurate colors, I particularly hate orange-ish reds!

-an overall more film-like picture

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

Originally posted by jdunlap

mnc,

... I was considering the Hitachi SWX. If I had gone w/ a CRT RPTV this is the one I would have chosen. Being as it is half the price of the Sony GWII,

In 2-4 years when you're replacing your set, you'll be glad you spent $2,500 instead of $4,000 !

MAYBE WE NEED TO REVIEW OUR "MATH FACTS".:rolleyes:

BEYOND THE POOR MATH, I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE THAT HAS PAID $4000 FOR THE GW 50XBR800 ("GW II"). I AND NUMEROUS OTHERS PAID $3200.

ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH CONVERGENCE, GW II OVER HITACHI; IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLACE UNSHIELDED SPEAKERS NEXT TO THE UNIT, GW II OVER HITACHI; IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO "USE" A LITTLE MORE OF YOUR ROOM SPACE, GW II OVER HITACHI; IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORRY ABOUT BURN-IN, GW II OVER HITACHI; IF YOU WANT REAL GREENS, GW II OVER HITACHI.:D

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize jdunlap stated the GWII price as $4000. I suppose he was talking about the 50". I was talking about $5000 for the 60". I am also just comparing store prices. BTW I thought the hitachi green problem was fixable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can't comment on the Hitachi, but I love my GWII. I don't care for the big bulky boxes of standard RPTV's. Those will be long gone in a few years, in favor of new technology. I couldn't deal with the limitations of those, look closely at the GW, you will probably like it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Green is fixable. I only paid $2400 delivered for my 57SWX20B over 6 months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. In a couple years down the road I really wont be bothered to pass it off to my parents/in-laws and get the proven fixed pixel technology of the time.

There are some very nice features that go with the GWII, but not good enough to justify the cost right now, for me atleast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"MAYBE WE NEED TO REVIEW OUR "MATH FACTS".

BEYOND THE POOR MATH, I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE THAT HAS PAID $4000 FOR THE GW 50XBR800 ("GW II"). I AND NUMEROUS OTHERS PAID $3200. "

Wolvernole,

First of all....chill!! No need for the condescending tone. Disagree with me if you want but how about a little common courtesy?

As far as my "math", I got my numbers from actual pricing on both of these units at a local retail store. These units were literally side by side marked at $3,999 for the 50" GWII and $2,500 for the 51" SWX. That's a fact! Of course most people will be able to haggle a bit on the Sony but the point is, it costs substantially more than the Hitachi.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdunlap
mnc,

My opinion pretty much falls in line with goodrich and mfusick. I have the GWII and it's kind of like a love/hate thing. There are times when I marvel at the crisp picture and other times when the inferior black level kind of bums me out.

Before I bought this TV I was considering the Hitachi SWX. If I had gone w/ a CRT RPTV this is the one I would have chosen. Being as it is half the price of the Sony GWII, I would recommend you get the Hitachi while you wait for all of the new technologies (LCD,DLP, LCoS) to be perfected. In 2-4 years when you're replacing your set, you'll be glad you spent $2,500 instead of $4,000 !

Wish I'd been smart enough to follow my own advice!!
I'm glad you typed this as I was thinking the same thing just recently. I finally decided not to buy the GWII and save the money. I figure I could buy a GW5 (obvious speculation) for the money I save now.

Anyway, it's nice to here someone else voice what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pat6366
MNC,

Can you wait until Fall when the price of the Sony comes down $1k?
I was under the impression that this wasn't going to be an xbr version. While the XBR is a lot of audio options (which most of us don't need) it is also some video isn't it? Also, the XBR tends to give pretty cool styling to the tv, which in my opinoin is one of sony's best aspects. they do a great job of making their equipment look better than anyone elses, even if the product isn't as good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
wolvernole

hey dude, take a soper...it'll help you relax! if you would have gone with the SWX you could have seen a therapist with the money you saved. everybody has there right to an opinion but WOW!!!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The GW II is reviewed in this months Sound and Vision. They come to the same conclusion as myself. The color accuracy is outstanding with no red push at all. The black levels are jusk OK.

My opinion on SD reception is that it was better than I thought it would be and on OTA and DishNet HD teh picture is amazing. Ditto on Prg Scan DVD. This is all after some tweeking learned from umr in this fourm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.