AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about getting the TS-160 because i want to get an HD receiver that has DVI. does this receiver work well with the SWX? will there be any difference in PQ versus the HD receiver i rent from the local cable company(Brighthouse)? are there any drawbacks with this HD receiver? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Goodrich, the Samsung TS-160 is a Directv/OTA HD receiver. If you do not have Directv I would not recommend getting this receiver. The Samsung T165 is an OTA receiver only. As for your question, I have the UWX model and the DVI works with no problem. Since the SWX is an upgraded model I doubt you will have any problems using the TS-160 with your monitor. Keep in mind that since your have a CRT based monitor you will most likely not see a difference between the DVI cable and component cables.

So, unless you have a plasma or LCD monitor the DVI cable will not give you any improvement over the component cables. In some cases the component cables will even give you a better picture than the DVI. This is in reference to CRT monitors not digital monitors.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i have Directv. i just would like a decent HD receiver but i've read some bad reviews elsewhere about this unit and wanted someone elses viewpoint. i was told that there would be minimal difference with the DVi but wanted another opinion. is there a cheaper receiver that would be just as good?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, This is the exact setup I have.

I use the DVI and it works well. No issues there.

I don't notice much difference than the Component cable.

No real issues with the two together.

The TS-160 still has a couple of quirks, and it seems to be pickier with PSIP data for OTA DTV. I have an issue getting two (xx-1) primary channels on the same carrier (UHF 48).

Overall, I can reccomend it.

D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Goodrich, I think the cheapest Directv HD receiver you will find is the Hughes E86. It has the components outputs but no DVI. From what I've seen they are pretty decent receivers, a little outdated, but they get the job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.