Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I took delivery of my 57swx on Saturday, turned it on, and let it settle for 24hrs. I did the magic focus in auto and then tweaked it in manual. I've set the video with Sound and Vision, and still I'm not to pleased with what I'm seeing.

There seems to be a real lack of detail. Textures and fine detail are blurred and kind of "smeared". For example, in Lord of the Rings (extended), when Gandalf first appears, his beard looks blurry. When he goes to visit Bilbo, the leaves all blend together and there is hardly any texture to the green wooden door.

I had a Hitachi tech. come to the house and check out the set. He says there is nothing that he can adjust to change things (he played with all the settings and modes) but does agree that the detail is lacking.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything I can do besides send it back?

By the way, I've got an RP-82 hooked up with Monster component, and tried switching cables and players (Tosh. SD-5700) with the same results.

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm curious . . . did you try setting the DVD player for both progressive and interlaced output? I seem to remember seeing something . . . somewhere . . . about differences seen between the two modes. I'm interested in getting the 82 myself, which is why I ask.

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
476 Posts
If the set is in "Movies" mode, try another mode. With progressive DVD players, sometimes the 3:2 pulldown in the DVD and set can interact.

You may need an electronic or mechanical focus. If so, the tech should have figured this out.

Or, your set may have a problem that requires service.

Maybe you can try a different tech.

Les

·
Registered
5 Posts
If this is your first widescreen tv, you might want to make sure the set-up menu in your dvd player is set to 16x9 aspect ratio. This happened to me when I got my 43uwx10b, and it makes a huge difference !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aaron;

I have a 65SWX on order, so I'm curious: Are you only experiencing this problem playing DVD's or is it present when watching regular TV too? If so what kind of signal input (cable, satelite etc.) are you using?

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 65swx and I notice the same "out-of-focus" picture with most source material. I have a Hughes directv box connected via an s-video cable abd an RP-82 connected via component cables. Most all directv shows seem a bit blurry and quite a bit of the DVDs I've watched have as well. Monsters Inc looked by far the best of the material I've viewed thus far. (I've only had the set for a couple of weeks.) This is my first RPTV so I'm thinking it may just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Jeff: Tried switching-interlaced looked worse.

Les: Different modes didn't really help.

Ray: DVD player and tv set to 16:9.

John: Problem shows up with all sources (DVD, Laserdisc, cable, satelite), satelite (Direct TV) looks the worst, but that is to be expected.

a221221: Sorry to hear yours is blurry to. Do you feel that this is a normal look after hearing the glowing reports about picture quality from other swx owners? Also, the set I demoed in the store was crystal clear.

Thanks again,

Aaron

·
Registered
972 Posts
The reports that it is "blurry" on some material but clear on some dvd's and some HD implies to me that this is totally a source and size of image issue. In my case, the fact that HD football in general looks clear and sharp yet episodic HD shows generally look dark and less focused also tells me it is a source issue. I am getting more used to the size of the screen and variation in PQ of different sources and broadcasts the more I watch.

Do some of you NOT have the variation in HD pic quality that I and others have noted? I'll say it again...I've still not been blown away by any HD material with the exception of CBS football :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't purchased a HD receiver yet to compare but do plan to pick one up before the Super Bowl. I'd have to agree about the quality of the source however. I just watched a few minutes of LOTR in 480p and the quality is far superior to normal directv material. It's probably just going to be a matter of getting used to the poorer quality signals and issues with the stretch modes.

I'm having another issue that maybe someone could shed some light on. I had a brief (30 sec) power outage and ever since, I see yellow on the faces and necks of most people. I can't seem to get rid of it. Does this sound like I'm in need of a service call or am I maybe missing an adjustment.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John R.R.
Aaron;

I have a 65SWX on order, so I'm curious: Are you only experiencing this problem playing DVD's or is it present when watching regular TV too? If so what kind of signal input (cable, satelite etc.) are you using?

John
John,

With 65XWX I'm using:

satellite (not HD) via s-video - hard to watch

dvd (older, interlaced) via component - mostly good, some great, some not

vhs via composite - not worth commenting

HD OTA (internal tuner) - some great, some good (see above post)

Digital OTA - considerably better than satellite, but still variable

Laser Disc - I hooked up once via composite and have decided there is too much noise and that I won't watch it (bye bye Star Wars for now :( )

Anyone in the market for a used LD player and movies?

Rich

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by a221221
I'm having another issue that maybe someone could shed some light on. I had a brief (30 sec) power outage and ever since, I see yellow on the faces and necks of most people. I can't seem to get rid of it. Does this sound like I'm in need of a service call or am I maybe missing an adjustment.
I read about your yellow issue in another thread. If it were mine, I'd call for service.

Rich

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RichUF: I'm not so sure that the "blur" is a source issue with my tv. While I agree that source is a big part of PQ, I have found that dvd's that were clear in the store (using an RP-62) are not clear on my set, and therefore, problably not the problem here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.