AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

58-60 inch best plasma tv

12112 Views 44 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  gagaliya
Hi all,

I am moving to a new house and planning to buy a new plasma tv. Have been looking around and reading about all the sets available. Pioneer is the legen in plasma but pricey. I am looking for a 58-60inch plasma tv with 1080p with atleast 3 HDMI inputs. Good contrast ratio always helps. Currently looking at LG, Panny and Pioneer. Can someone please help me with the selection? I will be thankful.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
I would stay away from the 60" LG, Yes I know the price is tempting. The Pioneer is the best but only you can decide if it's woth the extra money & if I was you I would wait (If You can) & see what the "New" 2008 Panasonic's will be like & how much they might be going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer5 /forum/post/12820352

Hi all,

I am moving to a new house and planning to buy a new plasma tv. Have been looking around and reading about all the sets available. Pioneer is the legen in plasma but pricey. I am looking for a 58-60inch plasma tv with 1080p with atleast 3 HDMI inputs. Good contrast ratio always helps. Currently looking at LG, Panny and Pioneer. Can someone please help me with the selection? I will be thankful.

Samsung 5884 has 3 hdmi inputs, not quite as good as the pioneer but at least $1000-$1500 less.
I think it would be a good idea to wait on Panasonic pricing on the TH-58PZ800/850's. The new contrast ratings and Tru-two way cable cards seem very enticing. IMO there's two choices-Pioneer or Panasonic. Anything else is junk in the processing/contrast dept. Just my opinion.
Love that 58PE75 from Costco. Just be aware it's not 1080p, but picture quality is excellent.
Anyone know if Costco will be getting the 58" back in again? Maybe I'll post this in the regular thread to.
Also add my unqualified recommendation for the Samsung 5884.
Best bang for the buck, I think, is the 58PZ700U, but it only has 2 HDMI.

For your requirements (3+ HDMI) I would go with Samsung 5884, but if you can swing it, Pioneer 6010/150FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchung23 /forum/post/12842779

Best bang for the buck, I think, is the 58PZ700U, but it only has 2 HDMI.

For your requirements (3+ HDMI) I would go with Samsung 5884, but if you can swing it, Pioneer 6010/150FD

Owning both the Pana 50pz700u and the Pioneer 6010FD, while both are nice sets, the Pio is a considerably nicer picture. In particular, the SD is quite good, especially when the Pio does the stretching of the image. I had a Samsung and thought it produced a fine picture as well, but I ended up with the Pana instead.

If you can get some cheap financing, go with a Pioneer Kuro (or do as I did and talk BB down on price and get zero finanacing- best of both worlds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 /forum/post/12844033

Owning both the Pana 50pz700u and the Pioneer 6010FD, while both are nice sets, the Pio is a considerably nicer picture. In particular, the SD is quite good, especially when the Pio does the stretching of the image. I had a Samsung and thought it produced a fine picture as well, but I ended up with the Pana instead.

If you can get some cheap financing, go with a Pioneer Kuro (or do as I did and talk BB down on price and get zero finanacing- best of both worlds).

Any tips to talk best buy down? I plan on buying a 6010 saturday with the zero percent financing and would love to get an additional 10% off their current sale price which would still be more than sponsors but considering i have over half the cost in gift cards to best buy i am pretty much stuck buying from there. PLus if i have the dreaded buzzing i can return it easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb181 /forum/post/12852305

Any tips to talk best buy down?

I was in BB looking at the 5080 Sunday. I was talking to the sales guy and I mentioned I *really* wanted the 6010, but the price was just too high for my blood. He said they'd be more than willing to work with me. I asked if he'd price match a well respected online store, like Amazon, and he basically said:

- it's against their policy to do so. PM only against local B&M

- regardless, he would match Amazon's price, but would need to work the Reward Zones points so that my price minus the RZ bonus equals out to Amazon's price (maybe $25 more just to land higher than them - big deal). I was amazed given that price is about 15% less their current sale price on the 6010.

- no coupons (10% or 12%) can be used with the sale or PM price.

- still allowed to do the HD Advantage deal.

YMMV
See less See more
1. Panasonic 700 or 750

2.Samsung

3 Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im drummer03 /forum/post/12853308

1. Panasonic 700 or 750

2.Samsung

3 Pioneer

Ummm, you have the Pioneer in 3rd?? May I ask why?
I'd say

1. cost allowing-pioneer pro-150fd or pdp-6010fd-4 hdmi

2.Samsung 5884-middle class 3 hdmi

3.Best bang for the buck-panasonic 700 or 750-2 HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat2950 /forum/post/12853080

I was in BB looking at the 5080 Sunday. I was talking to the sales guy and I mentioned I *really* wanted the 6010, but the price was just too high for my blood. He said they'd be more than willing to work with me. I asked if he'd price match a well respected online store, like Amazon, and he basically said:

- it's against their policy to do so. PM only against local B&M

- regardless, he would match Amazon's price, but would need to work the Reward Zones points so that my price minus the RZ bonus equals out to Amazon's price (maybe $25 more just to land higher than them - big deal). I was amazed given that price is about 15% less their current sale price on the 6010.

- no coupons (10% or 12%) can be used with the sale or PM price.

- still allowed to do the HD Advantage deal.

YMMV

Thanks for the info, I am going to give it a shot. I hope i get a sales person willing to work with me. Regardless I think I am going for the 6010 over the 5884 just because i do not want ANY buyers remorse. Of course the 5884 looks to be a great value vs performance so I am still a little confused. I am mainly worried about the SD performance. I know it sucks on all big tvs but I would like the one that sucks the least, and from reading these forums the 5884 seems pretty bad vs the 6010 that is tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar /forum/post/12853510

Ummm, you have the Pioneer in 3rd?? May I ask why?

Panasonic is very nice set for the price...

Samsung would be the best for him....

Pioneers are great but i dont see them being wor the price...

Hummer5 i would tell you to go FPT5884 if you need 3 HDMI...Keep in mind the 3rd one is on the side..Pioneer has 4 on the back so it gives most stationary inputs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb181 /forum/post/12852305

Any tips to talk best buy down? I plan on buying a 6010 saturday with the zero percent financing and would love to get an additional 10% off their current sale price which would still be more than sponsors but considering i have over half the cost in gift cards to best buy i am pretty much stuck buying from there. PLus if i have the dreaded buzzing i can return it easily.

Best Buy is really hard to figure out and they have changed from the way they used to be. As I have found it can vary from different stores or who you are dealing with.

I had been going to different BB stores in my area trying to decide on the 5080 or 5010. I mentioned to the one store about the Amazon price and the guy agreed to match it. I then found a online coupon and asked if I could use it on the 5010 at the sales price............he said no.

I then took the same 12% coupon to a different BB in my area and they accepted it on the 5010 off the sales price. I was surprised but expected strings to be attached such as extended warranty, calibration, accessories etc. They asked about these add-ons but when I said no they didnt try to pressure me like they used to in the past. This was also with the 36 mos no interest financing. 30 day return option and 90 day price guarantee.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.