AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal this weekend on a demo 5803. But I can't get the multi-zone 2 speakers to work. I think I did everything OK:

1) Connected a pair of sepakers to multi-zone speaker terminals.

2) In setup, assigned 2 amps to the multi-zone 2 vs a 7.1 setup.

3) Switched rec out/multi zone 2 to multi zone 2 and selected a working source for multi-zone 2.

4) tried all the different volume setups for multi zone 2 : ie variable/-40dB/0 dB.

But I don't get any sound? What am I missing?

I did hook up the same speakers to surround back and reassigned amps to 7.1 and I got sound out of them. So the amps are working, the speakers and speaker wires are all working.

Any help is appreciated and the manual is not very clear on this.

Ed

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You also have to tell it what you want to output to Zone 2. I select HDTIVO, or CD Player, or HDSAT all of which I have assigned to different inputs. I have nothing selected for phono so when I want nothing output I select Phono, an easy way to turn off sound to Zone 2. I really like having it run my 3 sets of Klipsch SA-2 outdoor speakers where I can listen to my music server or TV such as I am now listening to Nascar. Rmassey is exactly right, you must have analog going to Zone 2 inputs. You can PM me if you need anything else or just want to discuss something about the AVR-5803. I really love it and it has an awful lot of power. You must have bought it used from someone.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your tips. I'll try with an anolog source because I was trying with a digital one. But this really sucks that it's that limited. Ironically I only want to do something very simple - have an A / B switch for the front speakers. But of course Denon does not offer that on their "better" recievers. I figured that I could do that with the zone 2 with the more cumbersome process of assigning amps as opposed to the simple A/B speaker switch. BTW, I don't think that the manual states that the source must be analog.

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
You can PM me if you need anything else or just want to discuss something about the AVR-5803. I really love it and it has an awful lot of power. You must have bought it used from someone.
plasmamaniac - thanks for your offer. I bought it from a dealer. It was their store demo. Since it is now a discontinued model, they had it on a clearance table at a good price - a little over 1/2 MSRP. I offered a lower price - less than 1/2 MSRP - and they accepted. It is a 5803 vs 5803A. But I can drive it over the the Denon service center to get it upgraded to the 5803A. I'm mostly interested in DD PLIIx.

Ed

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ekb,

That digital source to zone 2 thing gets everyone at first. It's in the manual but easy to miss. You need to read that manual slowly about 15 times to get everything. It's not a serious limitation however, just run a redundant set of analog cables from the source and the receiver will automatically find them when you assign the zone 2 source.

Not sure what you need the A/B switch for but one possible solution is to use the 'surround A/B' feature. In the 5/7 channel stereo mode the surround speakers are simply a redundant set of L/R fronts and you can toggle between A and B with the 'speaker' selector on the remote. This won't help in any of the surround modes however.

The upgrade to PLIIx is worth every bit of the $100 it costs, especially is you don't need to pay to have it shipped.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
It's in the manual but easy to miss. You need to read that manual slowly about 15 times to get everything.
Yes - eventually I will read it. But you know how it is - you get the new beast home and want to check it all out quickly - especially in my case since it was a store demo and you want to find out if there are any problems or not.

Quote:
It's not a serious limitation however, just run a redundant set of analog cables from the source and the receiver will automatically find them when you assign the zone 2 source.
So in the normal listening mode the digital input will be considered primary and default to that?

Quote:
Not sure what you need the A/B switch for but one possible solution is to use the 'surround A/B' feature. In the 5/7 channel stereo mode the surround speakers are simply a redundant set of L/R fronts and you can toggle between A and B with the 'speaker' selector on the remote. This won't help in any of the surround modes however.
I have a house where the family room opens up into the breakfast area and kitchen. The TV is about 35 ft from the kitchen counter. I added speakers in the kitcen and so I sometimes just want to feed the kitchen speakers a front L/R signal. Problem with the 5/7 stereo mode is that the other speakers will also be on and I might not want that.

I appreciate your help.

Ed

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekb
So in the normal listening mode the digital input will be considered primary and default to that?
Yes

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
You will have to mute your main system speakers or set them to phone so they want play at the same time.
I assume that you are referring to my previous comment about the other channels playing. This deals with NightHawk's suggestion where in that scenario the extra speakers are not on the zone 2, but on surround speakers B and you use the Stereo 5/7 mode. So the you can't mute or switch to phono since that will also apply to the surround B speakers too.

Ed

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
if connecting the source via an analog connection is a problem, you can also loop the receiver's front pre-outs to one of the receiver's own analog inputs. be aware that most receiver's will apply whatever bass management is being applied to the front speakers, to the front pre-outs, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.