AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I was at BB this afternoon, and saw a B550 and B650 next to each other. Colors and PQ were mostly the same, except for 2 things. First, the blacks on the 650 were a little darker, and second, in a couple of instances, I saw some bleeding edges on bright red images. For example, baseball batting helmet with red bleeding edges on the 550, but crisp on the 650.

My question is this: Does the B550 and B560 have the same PQ and look? I was going to get the 560 for the extra Cinema Smooth and the better AR filter that the 550 doesn't have, and because I don't care about the internet widgets on the 650. However, if the picture is the same on 550 and 560, and these two issues exist, then I will just get the 650 anyway, as it's only a couple hundred more I think, if you look hard enough for a deal.

I read the entire B550 owner's thread, and a couple people said they thought 550 and 560 were same except for firmware, which unfortunately I don't know what the means. No where could I find more than people just thinking/guessing they were the same picture though, so I am hoping someone can definitively say if 550 and 560 are same picture?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
the 550 and 560 are the same exact display other than the 560 having Cinema smooth. the 550 and 560 have the same A/R coating. CS is the only difference.

the 650 may have deeper blacks than the 550 and 560 in a brightly lit room because of the better A/R filter, but the 550 and 560 will have good black levels in a dark, or dim room.

i have the 58B560 and am very happy with it. my initial plan was to get a 50" B850 but then i decided i didn't care about the thinness of the 850, the extra A/R filter or all the internet crap and i also decided i'd rather have a 58", so i went with the 560. couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, only looking at Best Buy because they actually had the 650 to look at, and conveniently the 550 was next to it. I can't find any place to look at a 560 around me, so I took advantage of bb to see what they had I could look at. I doubt I'd buy from there, because I can't stand having to pay tax when so many sites online are without tax. Thanks for the heads up though, as I will look into it!

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16968428

the 550 and 560 are the same exact display other than the 560 having Cinema smooth. the 550 and 560 have the same A/R coating. CS is the only difference.

Are you sure about this? I've read some Samsung literature that says the B560 has the "Crystal Full HD Engine," but I have yet to confirm this on the B550. Can you find some documentation for me that proves the B550 also has the "Crystal Full HD"? Are the remotes the same on the B550/B560? I think the remote on the B560 might be better, with backlighting. I've seen conflicting specs about the speakers on the B550/B560, being 10W x 2 vs. 15W x 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.