AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're absolutely right! This is a bunch of cow's manure. Somewhere along the path of the digitally encrypted signal, this MUST make its turn to analog to be viewed on displays which will remain analog! Unless they force us to purchase an all digital network including the end display, thereby keeping the encryption right til the very end, I would think that any ingenious enough system's engineer would be able to tap into the analog domain to revert the signal to be displayed back through what is an analog RGB conncetion.

Next thing on their agenda?...make us pay for every piece of music we want to listen to! A la PPV. Which reminds me of a personal voice activated device not unlike the one that reminds Corbin he's got three points left on his licence, reminding us we've got three more songs left to listen to before we refuel! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eirikur:

The possible legal way to do this would be to purchase the absolute cheapest DVI display component you could. Perhaps a PC-CARD with the protection chips or a small inexpensive low quality display of some sort with the compliant decoding chips within. Now it's within reason to physically grab the decoded in the clear signal on the opposite side of these chips. (It has to be decoded at some point right?) Perhaps on the MPEG decoding chips. With a physical pick up, a wire tap

so to speak, running to another box, that would translate the signal to whatever you needed, Component, VGA, etc.

As long as the individual is motivated enough, this scheme would (in theory) work. The problem is, with digital displays, it would be possible for them to do the decrypting AND the displaying all on the same chip. Imagine the chip that moves the mirrors on a DLP dmd ALSO does the decrypting. Then it would be impossible to grab the signal in the clear. Well, maybe not impossible, but orders of magnitude harder (I suppose you could tap the signal that actually moves the mirrors and translate it etc).

The only place where it would be impossible to eliminate the in the (somewhat) clear analog signal would be on a CRT device. CRTs are analog devices so the signal that drives them will be analog as well.

This is another reason that the whole "stopping piracy" slant is BS. A true pirate, one that will be distributing the content, will be motivated enough to hack into a CRT to get that signal.

Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't forget guys, the wonderful DCMA (digital copyright millenium act) forbids anyone from making devices or altering devices to circumvent copy protection, regrdless if its to reclaim your fair use rights. anything to circumvent DCMA is a crime

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well technically with this application, the copyprotection was not defeated or altered. The copy protection they implemented would remain intact, and un-altered. It is similar to projecting the movie on the wall, and recording the wall image with a camera. Except in this case, we are grabbing the image as soon as it is in the clear, while still within the box.

Of couse they really could put self-destruct mechanisms in the boxes, so when you take the lid off. Kablooey, your chips fry themselves or something to that effect. Of course hardware protection is easily and probably within reason to defeat. After all you do own the hardware.

We really do live in interesting times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm.

The way I see it, the MPAA will be successful. They will get their protection on everything in the HD world. I think it is even foolish to think that they won't restrict HD viewing of off air material as well. I bet they will restrict high definition recording of any off=the air show. You will be able to record a lower s-video, or 480p off the air.. My reasoning is the technology will be in place, and they will see it as a way to add value to syndication.

I'm sure that everything on satellite will be restricted, not just pay-per-view. You will only be able to record in 480p and that is it period. Probably on PPV, you will not be able to record at all.

Now comes the workarounds.. I see one legal way to work around it, and one illegal workaround.

The illegal method would be for a computer to emulate the setup of the TV/Projector, the pc would appear to the receiver as valid device, and would respond correctly to key request. It would receive the signal and software keys, and updates, and properly respond, then acquiring a signal in the clear. That could be outputted back to out "probably outdated projectors" and perhaps to a recording device. A similar method is being used to hack

satellite today.

Now let's think outside the box, or rather inside the box!

The possible legal way to do this would be to purchase the absolute cheapest DVI display component you could. Perhaps a PC-CARD with the protection chips or a small inexpensive low quality display of some sort with the compliant decoding chips within. Now it's within reason to physically grab the decoded in the clear signal on the opposite side of these chips. (It has to be decoded at some point right?) Perhaps on the MPEG decoding chips. With a physical pick up, a wire tap

so to speak, running to another box, that would translate the signal to whatever you needed, Component, VGA, etc.

As far as I can see with this plan, you are not reverse engineering or disabling their encryption. Their entire protection scheme is left working and intact. All you are doing is taking the signal they make available to you once they have decoded it for you, to do with as you wish. I love to think of this working, because they are basically, locking your picture down, but handing the keys out to everyone.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Watch it! next we'll be seeing internal bombs being activated if you try to open any CE device! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Larry

------------------

DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP/DMCA MANUFACTURERS!

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.