AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question relates to my legal archiving of HDTV movies recorded from channels such as HBO on cable.

Right now, I record these movies to my comcast PVR cable box. Anything that I want to keep, I dub over to a DVHS deck.

I'm concerned about the longevity of the dvhs tapes.

Will it work to record them to the computer via firewire in their encypted form (which can't be played on the computer), and then somehow send the encrypted data back to the dvhs deck to make a tape? this would allow me to have a backup of the movie if the tape dies.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
If the system works as its supposed to, you should not be able to do that.

If you were, this would allow anyone to make multiple copies of copy once material.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Right... if these actually are 5c encrypted, then you cannot copy them anywhere. If they aren't then you could have copied them to your PC to begin with and skipped the tape altogether if you wanted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think he is asking whether he can basically dump the recordings off the DVR straight into his PC still in encrypted format, then play them back from there (or transfer back to the DVR) when he wants to generate a DVHS tape. That way, if the DVHS tape gets damaged, he could regenerate one from backup.

Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to do this thanks to the copy protection mechanisms demanded by the studios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.