AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unlimited space, 20" sonotube ports, I want the MAX output from 5Hz-15Hz with NO reguard to less than 5Hz or above 15Hz using four IB3 18's off two EP4000s.

If I were to cut down the towers and use the spare bedroom as a giant 8th order bandpass box if I wouldnt have enough room where the towers stand now. The towers, if I move the entertainment center, have 12' wide, 4' deep, 8' tall. Bedroom is 12' wide 10' deep 8' tall IIRC. Play it safe, spare room is 11' wide, 9' deep, 8' tall allowing room to work.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I know right? I just did Avatar's THX scene at the end and somehow it's still standing :-D

Also considering replacing the 12" ports with 20" ports to raise the tuning on the towers, use those for my midbasses, and IB3 22's when they come out in 2030 for the 5Hz-15Hz 8th order queifer

·
Registered
982 Posts
this thread makes me lol

you should just turn the spare room into a 30 foot long folded horn and use a couple 5400s

Matt

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked about a tapped horn for a 21" Maelstrom X with 12'x8'x4' max dimensions before I began the build and ordered the IB3s

·
Registered
352 Posts
Now this I like the sound of, I can only imagine the kind of output at 10 hertz in a setup like that!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want 5Hz

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, isn't the resonant frequency of most buildings around 5 hertz? I think that your house may end up in shambles if you shoot for that kind of a corner. But it would be sweet to see!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i already have it

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
I still think you should really consider going sealed with more drivers. It takes sheer displacement down that low. An array of sealed subs paired with a Marchand Bassis would get you there, no problem. But I know that's not your style.
I'll be watching. Good luck!

Also, if youre looking at 5-15hz... now you REALLY have to take a considerable look at the actual frequency response of all the electronics in the signal chain. They will all have some drop off at the lowest end of the spectrum and they will all be additive.

Again... good luck!

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Here is the new 'Amazing Life' THX trailer (the one at the end of Avatar)...

The higher bass (above 20hz) is what sounds more impressive here with nothing but that short sustained 18hz part at the end to give that real deep bass feeling. Might have to stratch that off your own list.

I still think a nice, awesome array of sealed subs with signal shaping paired with a massive midbass sytem (think Ricci's B&C 21's as a start) and then build some massive mains like what MK has (and that I will have really soon) will get the sound and the feeling youre after. This is different though and not many will go for it themselves (hell, everyone thought I was crazy when I first thought up my LLT's) so I admire the ambition.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy /forum/post/19638132

My question is: when's the last time you had your hearing tested?

JSS

huh? good thing were typin here

With electronics rolloff at 10Hz, but with several steep LP filters at 20Hz, simply raising input level would cure this, no?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/19638266

huh? good thing were typin here

With electronics rolloff at 10Hz, but with several steep LP filters at 20Hz, simply raising input level would cure this, no?

It could be pretty lossy depending on how much roll off the signal chain has in it. Seriously, sealed with the new Bassis (it has up to 46dB of boost) might get you out of all that gain loss.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I cut a 20" hole in the boxes, thats a 20" x .75" port, 21Hz tuning.

SPL with 2500 watts (just one of two towers)

port gain over 100Hz

14 m/s VV

linkwitz LP at 20Hz, 2500 watts, peak cone excursion 25mm

sure I bet there'd be some wicked port resonance and things acting like TLs and horns or somethin...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/19638309

If I cut a 20" hole in the boxes, thats a 20" x .75" port, 21Hz tuning.--------

sure I bet there'd be some wicked port resonance and things acting like TLs and horns or somethin...

Nope. Still a plain old vented sub, but without a port resonance problem, as the port is so short.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54 /forum/post/19638766

Nope. Still a plain old vented sub, but without a port resonance problem, as the port is so short.

stop trying to tempt me. 20Hz for 10 minutes, full excursion, 32 seconds in: becomes a news f;ash with me burried under my house. It's too cold out for that.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I had asked this before about electronics rooling off at around 10hz. I wondered where the PS3 and Denon AVR rolls off for the Lfe output?

This is my setup for now. My poweramp will be able to go lower than 5hz but if there isn't much signal what is it amplifing?

I figured if you have all electronics, say 2hz an up, I would think you would have the best 5-15hz possibilities and then its just a matter of displacment.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like this new bandpass idea you have going on here, but it will take a lot of planning to make it work right. you might just hit pay dirt with that idea!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sounds like your trying to build a stationary Matterhorn .

I like it!

dbl

1 - 20 of 36 Posts