AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, been off forum for a while enjoying my 42PHD5UY since October 2002. But now I come back to see Panny's 6UY. Ouch.. I shoulda stayed on my couch.

Seeing as the new screen can take those blades for DVI-HDCP, what does that leave for guys like us who just got their plasmas NOT EVEN a year ago?

Are we sh!t out of luck? Can a company just leave current owners out to dry like that? Luckily I have no use for the DVI.. yet. But I'm sure I will.. eventually.. argh.

Anyone? .. say it isnt so.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
th, as is usual with electronics, the longer you wait, the cheaper and more technologically advanced the same product that you have will be.....welcome to the real world. doesnt your machine take upgrade cards?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True.. but man that bites. Not even a year old and this is one of Panny's top flight models.. If this was a midrange CRT, I'd swallow it. Honestly, it's not.. so it hurts.

Yes, it takes a card, but as far as I know there is only one. A plain jane DVI no HDCP type card. Sheesh.

I just hope I dont have the need for the DVI anytime soon. If I do, that's really gonna kill me. Maybe some smart company can develop a real card for this plasma. Heck I'd buy one.. How many other 5UY guys would?

Anyone taking trade-ins?? Argh..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea.. read that too. Hmm.. Guess we're sh!t outta luck then?

I would have thought a different card would be out by now.. Or maybe some sort of interim device?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teamhawaii
Yea.. read that too. Hmm.. Guess we're sh!t outta luck then?

I would have thought a different card would be out by now.. Or maybe some sort of interim device?
Pretty Much !!!

Looks like Panasonic has no plans on doing a DVI-HDCP card for older models.

I'm actually getting the new TH-37PWD6UY tomorrow (Hopefully).

More inputs (The VGA input now accepts component) and the option to buy the TY-42TM6D DVI-HDCP card (Don't need it right now) .

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmmm.. rub it in why dont ya.. :mad:

naw, congrats.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teamhawaii
Seeing as the new screen can take those blades for DVI-HDCP, what does that leave for guys like us who just got their plasmas NOT EVEN a year ago?

Are we sh!t out of luck? Can a company just leave current owners out to dry like that? Luckily I have no use for the DVI.. yet. But I'm sure I will.. eventually.. argh.

Anyone? .. say it isnt so.
I bought my 5UY in the late spring knowing fully that the 6UY would be coming out soon and would have a DVI/HDCP port. The Samsung with that port was already out and about the same price too. I also knew the price would drop, and it has (about $500 since I purchased).

On an EDTV display I just didn't find DVI/HDCP to be that necessary. Even if STBs and DVD players start down converting anything that isn't HDCP they are going to downconvert it to 480p, the native display resolution. The picture quality through component and VGA inputs is excellent.

With any technology purchase you have to be happy with what you bought when you bought it, knowing that an upgrade will happen soon.

For a year you've been able to enjoy your plasma...would you have given that away for an HDCP port? From what I've read on here the 6UY picture quality hasn't been any better than the 5UY picture quality.

alex

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Wetmore

With any technology purchase you have to be happy with what you bought when you bought it, knowing that an upgrade will happen soon.

For a year you've been able to enjoy your plasma...would you have given that away for an HDCP port?

alex
I would say even more. I don't see any reason why teamhawaii (or anybody with other than the latest models) cannot enjoy his plasma anymore. Am I missing something here?

Andrzej

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
I would say even more. I don't see any reason why teamhawaii (or anybody with other than the latest models) cannot enjoy his plasma anymore. Am I missing something here?

Andrzej
Of course he'll enjoy using it for years to come. If he bought one now it would be cheaper and have DVI/HDCP. I was just wondering if he'd give up his use of the Plasma for the last year to get those features.

Either way he'll probably still be enjoying it in five or ten years.

alex

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got off the phone with Eric at Plasma Concepts. He reiterated what he told me earlier today that the 6UY supports DVI/HDCP, and that using the slot for that purpose does not disable the other component connections.

Whether PQ on the ED display of the 6UY coming through DVI is any better than component or VGA, I have no idea. However, I'd really appreciate if some of the more technologically savvy members could weigh in on this because I'd rather not buy a DVI card in anticipation of the HD Tivo if not necessary. And if I'm not getting a DVI card, then that simplifies my imminent purchase of a DVD player since I don't then need a DVI version of it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
As I understand it, the DVI you can get from the card for the older model is useless for video. It only works if you use it as a computer monitor.

Teamhawaii, the PQ differences between your model and the new one are slight at best. I'd keep your current display unless or until DVI/HDCP becomes essential. The resale value of plasmas is currently quite high. You could probably get an mount for your plasma off ebay just a few hundred shy of what the current model costs. But really, there's no need at the present time to concern yourself.

- Dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your comments... I didnt mean to imply I was unhappy with my Panny.. In truth, I'm just as ecstatic about it today as the day I first fired it up. It has given me a year worth of awesome viewing and I look forward to many more.. Just give me an HD broadcast or a sweet DVD and WOOOOWZA.

What I wanted to get across is that yes it's an unfortunate fate we early techno junkies must learn to live with. I'm in the computer industry and live with it everyday.. However, in my ideal world, I would have hoped Panasonic wouldn't have left owners in the lurch. It's early adopters like us who keep plasmas churning, and for such high ticket items as these, I think a little more love would go a long way. From what I've been reading, Panasonic seemed quite adamant about not making a new card. Almost with a "too bad" attitude.. Seeing as they already had a "first gen" DVI card, how much harder would it have been for them to make another card with HDCP or whatever the standard might be. Who knows, maybe IT IS that difficult. Oh wells.. such is life..

As with most, I dont think I will ever need the DVI.. unless that day comes where everything is DVI or some variation of it. By that time I hope my plasma will have lived a good life, because I think that would be like saying no device had RCA inputs anymore.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.