AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Replay 2020 model which I have been very happy with.

I am considering buying a 5xxx model and am interested in how it compares to the 2020 unit. I've browsed through the forum and the comparisons I've found have been mainly to the 4xxx .

I'm aware of the feature content on the new models, so I'm not looking for that. What I am mainly interested in is

1. Are there going to be any surprises in basic behaviour - working one way on the older, but differently on the newer; or things you liked on the older but aren't there on the newer - stuff like that

2. Will I have to get the nightly programming updates separately for each unit? It doesn't appear to me that there is any way to connect these 2 models.

TIA

·
Registered
366 Posts
1. Not sure, don't have a new model

2. Yes, they will have to download their updates seperately. And they won't communicate with each other at all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If I recall correctly:

What's on 2020 not on 5xxx:

Macrovision removal

5xxx Remote does not have "input" button, you have to go to "setup" to change inputs.

no more software upgrades.

What's on 5xxx not on 20xx:

Just to name a few:

Commercial advance.

Networking.

YPrPb output (progressive out 480p).

IVS (Show sharing).

Replayguide shows can be renamed and categorized.

Live buffer nagivation.

Show streaming to/from other 5xxx units.

Enhanced ChannelGuide navigation.

Better audio encoding.

Optical audio output.

Future software upgrades.

The guides would have to be downloaded separately.

Someone else feel free to add anything I may have missed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Are there going to be any surprises in basic behaviour - working one way on the older, but differently on the newer; or things you liked on the older but aren't there on the newer - stuff like that
Under basic operation, they both work the same. One of the features of the 5k series that can change the way you use the unit is the folders method of organizing your shows. (The All Shows folder ends up working just like the standard screen in the Replay Guide.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.