AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I figured there are some Pre/Pro experts in here who can add wisdom to the subject.

When building a Home Theater over time one has to cross many bridges on expenditures and has to justify the value of each purchase. I have a question based on my personal situation that I feel many could benefit from on a broader scale.

Originally and currently I have a mid-to-low end receiver (Denon 2307ci but insert any receiver in this category HDMI etc...) and a cheap set of HT speakers (insert any $500-$1000 set including SW)

The first and second major upgrades to my HT were new speakers ~$3k (AV123 RS1000 and buddies, insert any good mid range speaker set) and a good subwoofer (Velo DD-15, insert any other good organ shaker)

So here is my question. The first 6k invested in my HT had a huge WOW factor, an improvement even the Wife can appreciate. There is no doubt investing good money in speakers and a sub will have huge affects on your HT experience. How much WOW upgrade do you get when you put 6k into a solid multichannel amp and processor? How much value is in a 6k set of separates when you already have lossless multichannel audio?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You will gain nothing except respect by people who think that equipment sounds better when it's going to measure the same anyway.

Well, that is unless you need MORE POWER or something like that.

Either save your money or upgrade your speakers even further. Actively crossed speakers are quite cool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Brady84:

I added a 7 channel 200 wpc amp from B&k to my existing Marantz SR7400 receiver. The difference is both very noticable and well worth it. The power ratings on receivers are somewhat suspect.

I will add a pre/pro when the next generation comes out.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You may be able to get a notice-able difference and not have to spend all that much. But I doubt your going to get wow.

I think I'd suggest just finding some external amps 1st and using the AVR as a pre/pro. That goes a long way to giving the improvement of all high end equipment.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Boxerboy, how did you score in your double blind ABX testing?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hm, well, that's quite possible, then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/12887380

I would assume he means when he pushes it hard the difference is substantial.

I'm assuming there would be less listening fatigue during the loud moments of a movie.? If so then the WAF may go up. hmm..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 /forum/post/12888211

Have you added some sort of room treatments?

No room treatments yet, my room is far from optimal anyway, open sections to the kitchen etc...so I figured I'd get all the components in line first and then dial in the room when I buy a house, renting one now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Given that your question implies that you can't do it all, I'd recommend buying a good, but moderately priced receiver and spending the balance on seperate power amps and speakers.

Power amps haven't undergone the dramatic obsolescence that digital technology has, so buying used amps is an option that would give you even more money to apply to the best speakers you can get.

·
Registered
166 Posts
DonoMan:

Of course I didn't do double blind testing.

The most noticable difference can be heard when I play two channel audio using the "source direct" mode in the receiver. The sound improvement was easily noticed by my lovely wife and both boxer dogs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts