AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bed which is the viewing station is up against the back wall, the room is small...will i get a true benefit from having rear surrounds? I'm in the process of deciding what i want to do in my room since i just got a new HDTV.

I'm not looking to spend over 400 dollars and i'm not sure if i want to put components together or buy an upgradable HTIB. Right now i'm just deciding what kind of system i want.

If it makes a difference it is mainly going to be for DVD's, no music, one day a PS3 (hopefully this year) and OTA HD. I'll draw something in Paint to give everyone a better idea of the space i'm working with. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

The bed which is the viewing station is up against the back wall, the room is small...will i get a true benefit from having rear surrounds?

One of the hallmarks of a 7.1-speaker set-up is having rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. In order to do this successfully, you need room behind you to place the rear speakers and keep them well separated from the side speakers.

With your listening position against the back wall, there is no room behind you for the rear speakers. Better to do a good 5.1 layout rather than a bad 7.1 set-up.

Looking at your diagram, I would place the surround speakers in the back corners of the room. Mount them at least a couple of feet above ear level and point them towards each other.

The multiple reflective surfaces in the corner will help diffuse the surrounds, giving you better envelopment. The wide spread will help maintain strong left-vs-right directionality with stereo surround information.
Quote:
I'm not looking to spend over 400 dollars and i'm not sure if i want to put components together or buy an upgradable HTIB.

For that kind of money, I would look into the best HTiB I could get. Just make sure it doesn't use any sort of proprietary speaker connections (like Bose does). That will let you upgrade to better speakers as and when the budget allows.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.