AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all of this 6.1,7.1 stuff and I need some help on setting up my new receiver. I just bought the VSX-D811S (Pioneer) Which can do Dolby Digital- EX and DTS-ES. I just watched Gladiator using DTS-ES and played fine but when I played TOY STORY 2 I could not get sound from the surround back speakers(2). I have two options on the receiver for 6.1 setting, AUTO and FIX. Do I use FIX setting for all DD-EX materials? or AUTO? is it the receiver do the switch for me?.

Thanks for you help.:confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have the pio 49x and it has similar settings, with auto, 5.1 and 7.1 . I leave mine on 7.1 all the time so that i utilize all of my speakers. Basically its creates a matrix es/ex signal for movies that are not encoded with a 6.1 discrete or 5.1 matrix signal. To my ears i like the way it sounds (then again information overload is my real hobby :) )

Now to answer your question, without knowing a lot about your receiver exactly.

If fix makes a matrix signal (and i think it does) then i would leave it there. What is happening i suspect is gladiator is flagged properly, so in auto setting it switches to the dts es discrete mode (man its sweet too.) Wheras toy story 2 is not flagged, or flagged poorly. So if you have it in the fix mode (i'm assuming this is similar to my 7.1 mode) then you will get the proper sound from your receiver since it will play back the matrixed sound that was meant to be played on the toy story 2 dvd.

This is a common problem with many dvd's and an irritating one. Supposedly the newer dvd's are being flagged properly, but i keep my receiver on 7.1 to avoid missing the back channel when its there.

Check out dolby digital's website to see their list of ex encoded discs, you may be surprised as i was because i own a few and they don't even declare that they're ex on the disc.

Anyway hope this helps you in a rambling sort of way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Frank,

I have a similar setup w/ an Integra 8.2. Without looking up your documentation, I'm guessing that with AUTO, the receiver will "turn on/off" the rear center as it sees es/ex material and FIX will always enable it. If this is the case, you've opened a small can of worms, of which the opinions will fly.

I'm generally of the opinion that a movie should be watched as mixed, however in my humble "research" I've found I enjoy the rear-center always on. It's a personal choice, so play around with it. Some DVD's are great in "matrixed" 6.1 even thou they are 5.1 sources (U-571 is one that comes to mind).

Have fun!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice guys

Frank

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
frnkmt,

I just got the 811 but have not yet hooked it up. How do you like it so far? Any other things I should know about it.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounded pretty good to me my friend liked when I played gladiator, I notice you cannot adjust the treble and bass when you have Dolby D Ex and DTS ES sounds, another minor thing that I noticed is that I can't adjust the BS speakers individually.

Frank

10:10 P.M

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Ressurecting a slightly old thread. I am about to rder this receiver and am wondering if you guys have any problems with it? Frank, ever get your rear speaker glitch fixed?

Is using the rear-center channel as easy as plugging in the speaker, or is there more equipment to buy?

I currently have a VSX-D509S, which is 5.1 only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.