Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will like to find out if it is feasible to put my center rear speaker on the floor directly behind my couch? I will however position it with the tweeters/woofer facing upwards towards the ceiling.

How will the imaging be like? My speaker will be a monopole.

What do you guys think? Cheers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Probably not optimal. Most recommendations suggest putting the speaker at ear level, for the fronts anyway. Rears tend to be higher if anything. I'd consider getting a stand if possible.

·
Registered
31,531 Posts
Why not try it out and listen to how it sounds? The surround-back channel is supposed to give the impression of sounds coming from behind the listener. If you get that result from placing the speaker on the floor behind the couch, then mission accomplished.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dilemma is that i have to decide the cable wiring first hand before I can place the speakers. :(

It will be great if people has done this before so I could hear their views. The back of my couch will be all windows panes so the mounting it will be a difficult task.

The next best alternative will be a stand but it might too close to my head. sigh....

·
Registered
31,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yop
The next best alternative will be a stand but it might too close to my head.
Don't do that; too distracting. In your situation, floor would be better than stand.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's what I thought it could be too distracting.

Anyway I guess I might just go ahead and give it a try and will post my findings. :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Just lay the wire on the floor for the temporary testing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have my rear 2 speakers set up similarly (both on the floor behind my couch pointing toward the ceiling). I simply have no other choice, wife and room layout constraints...

It's not optimal, but it's not too bad. Just be sure to lower the volume on those speakers. I keep mine about 3dbs lower than my other 6 speakers and find that the sound isn't too distracting.

Bottom line for me is that it sounds better than a 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jon g
I have my rear 2 speakers set up similarly (both on the floor behind my couch pointing toward the ceiling). I simply have no other choice, wife and room layout constraints...

It's not optimal, but it's not too bad. Just be sure to lower the volume on those speakers. I keep mine about 3dbs lower than my other 6 speakers and find that the sound isn't too distracting.

So, is this mean you can hear all three rear speaker when you have it on 6.1 channel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jon,

So you meant to say that it doesn't sound muffled then since it being behind your couch and not pointing towards the direction of your head?

Quote:
Originally posted by jon g

·
Registered
334 Posts
Equate, no sorry, I should've been more descriptive.

I have a 7.1 system. My 2 back surrounds are on the floor behind the couch pointing at the ceiling.

My 2 surround speakers are on stands near the rear corner of the room pointing at the couch.

Yop,

No, I don't think it sound too muffled. The speakers are against the wall w/ the couch pushed up against them. The speakers create about a 6" gap btwn where the couch would touch the wall.

Obviously it's not optimal, but I don't really notice a muffled quality to the sound. I'm definately not getting some detail, but the sound that gets assigned or matrixed to the back surround speakers really isn't that detailed anyway.

I have listened to 7-channel stereo w/ this set-up and the sound quality is acceptable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.