AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is wired for 5.1, so there are two speaker wires running in the ceiling for the surround speakers. The speakers are not installed yet but they will be in-walls (actually in the ceiling in the case of the surround speakers).

Someone suggested that it is possible to achieve a 6.1 setup by using the two wires intended for the surrounds. He said I could add a rear speaker between/behind the surrounds, and 'share' the wires by the following trick: of the four conductors in the two wires, connect three of them to the +ve terminals of the three speakers and connect all three -ve terminals to the fourth conductor. At the receiver, connect those three conductors to the +ve terminals of left surround, right surround and rear; and connect the fourth conductor to the -ve terminals of all three.

I did verify (using a simple continuity meter) that the -ve terminals at the receiver are indeed all common. So in simple electrical circuit terms this sounds like it could work.

I'd never heard of this before and wanted to know if anyone else has done it, or can spot a flaw in the argument. My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR700) does have the rear channel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I too have the same receiver and would like to know if this works as it would allow me to easily use my centre rear channel without a new wiring nightmare. Please post the results if you try it.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the -ve terminals are common'd at the amp end then there should be no problem using a single common lead in the in wall wiring.

Go for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.