AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night NBC showed the very first episode of SNL, hosted by George Carlin as a tribute to the late comedian.

Considering the original video is from 1975, I thought the upconvert on the HD feed was quite nice. It was much nicer than some of the other upconvert jobs I've seen on other networks. I thought it was much nicer than FOX Widescreen during sporting events. Was it shot on 35 mm?

·
Registered
995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikmars /forum/post/14185608

Last night NBC showed the very first episode of SNL, hosted by George Carlin as a tribute to the late comedian.

Considering the original video is from 1975, I thought the upconvert on the HD feed was quite nice. It was much nicer than some of the other upconvert jobs I've seen on other networks. I thought it was much nicer than FOX Widescreen during sporting events. Was it shot on 35 mm?

Well, you may have allready realized this, but considering the show is LIVE, it would be impossible to be 35mm.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Doh!!

1) All I can say is TV (technology) has come a long way baby.

2) Was it just me or did they edit (blank out) a good portion of Chevy's postage stamp joke?

3) Did they really string a mic cable out into a restroom?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
The 44s looked pretty good, and also there was no visible banding from the 2" recording.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Lots and lots of edge enhancement a/o ghosting + color separation, plus somebody apparently drew on one of the camera lenses with a pink/red sharpie (or similar implement.) ... The audio sounded like it was recorded with a tin can and string, hideous but typical.

PS: Now I remember why pre-recorded VHS tapes seemed (upon their arrival) to be a vast improvement over "regular" TV.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
As to the audio/video issues....hey, this was from 1975. And obviously not a show that the netowrk spent too much $$ on.

Was nice to see the original cast again. Not the greatest ep from the seminal group, but still cool to see. When it was still "NBC's Saturday Night", the show had a much looser, almost variety show vibe.

It's come a long way since then, for better or worse.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/14189933

plus somebody apparently drew on one of the camera lenses with a pink/red sharpie (or similar implement.) ...

Remember the 44's were tube cameras and if you put a tube camera into the lights, it would burn in. That was where someone had panned the camera through a light and it burned. You used to see that all the time before solid state cameras.

As for the quality, yeah, you could tell it was shot cheap. The video tape didn't seem to survive very well over the years, but considering what they had at the time comparied to today, it looked remarkablely well. Not as good as some of the other video from the time like Flip Wilson or even Laugh-In, but it sure was nice to see "New Dad" again!! I had forgotten about that one.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
How many people that were on that show are dead now? Billy Preston, Carlin, Belushi, Radner, Kaufmann, Jim Henson. Any others?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee /forum/post/14190729

How many people that were on that show are dead now? Billy Preston, Carlin, Belushi, Radner, Kaufmann, Jim Henson. Any others?

Last time I saw Chevy Chase on TV, he looked like he could have been.

Ackroyd, OTOH, will never die.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/14190233

Remember the 44's were tube cameras and if you put a tube camera into the lights, it would burn in. That was where someone had panned the camera through a light and it burned. You used to see that all the time before solid state cameras.

One classic SNL moment was when Bill Murray took a flash picture of the audience during Weekend Update. It left a nice purple/red splosh on the screen for the rest of the segment. I don't know if they swapped the camera out during the show (was there a way fix this without taking the camera apart?) but they were very upset that he did this without checking with them.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/14189933

Lots and lots of edge enhancement a/o ghosting + color separation, plus somebody apparently drew on one of the camera lenses with a pink/red sharpie (or similar implement.) ... The audio sounded like it was recorded with a tin can and string, hideous but typical.

PS: Now I remember why pre-recorded VHS tapes seemed (upon their arrival) to be a vast improvement over "regular" TV.

Edge enhancement, or more accurately detail enhancement aka contours, was common in those days. Most TVs still used notch filters, so most people saw around not much over 200 lines of resolution (TVL). Because the monitors were softer to begin with (from notch filters) VCs tended to add more enhancement.

Any camera operator in those days knew that aiming a camera into the lights was a cardinal sin. Tubes could be permanently damaged and cost $2000 per channel. It was common to white card a camera with a burn to attempt to purge it.

It's fun for me to see these images as I remember when each network's cameras looked different. This SNL was the classic NBC RCA look. Now NBC, ABC and CBS networks all use Sony cameras in their studios. I think Fox uses Thomson GV LDKs.

There's still many VCs using too much enhancement, so I guess not everything has changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts