AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am really really bad in understanding of the electronics and, perhaps, my question was answered hundred times before. I apologize in advance for that, but really need some 'real-life' advice on the following.

I have a HT system, with the Arcam Amplifer, Arcam AVP 700 processor and 7.2 speakers (2 subwofers run in parallel), 2 rows of the seats (3 chairs -first row, 1 chair+2 seat 'sofa' -second row). I always wanted to install simple bass shakers to add some subtle effect, so currently look at Aura Pro Bass Shakers (rated as 50 Watt @ 4 Ohms each).

As I understand, for a better effect, I need to get 3 (4?) pairs of the devices. I also believe that my connection type should be 'series/parallel' to keep the impedance of the install at 4 Ohms.

Now I don't understand how to connect those bass shakers to the Amplifier? Do I have to Y-split the subwoofer channel? I am afraid there is not enough power for this set-up... Do I have to Y-split subwoffer channel and add additional 'cheap' amplifier? But it seems to me I need to provide 300 (400) Watts of power to this and I am not sure there are 'cheap' amplifiers like that...

So, I am really puzzled and any help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Yevgen

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You need to buy a separate amplifier to power the shakers. I use the Buttkicker BK1000. For 6-8 aura shakers, I believe one of those would be sufficient. You need to use an RCA Y-splitter to feed the the shakers amplifiers if you don't have a separate sub out available for them through your bluray player. My understanding is that it is better to wire them in parallel to maximize the amount of power available to each shaker. Powering them in series will increase the resistance and reduce the power.

I am not sure how are you planning to mount them. If you direct mount them, you need to have at least one for each seat / couch. If you are planning to mount them under a platform/floor, you can get away with less. The more you add the stronger the effect.

I recommend buying one of the higher end models if they would fit in your setup. Some models have a response down to the single digits and they will feel less gimmicky than the lower end ones. Of course if you go that route, the amplifier requirements would be higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevlem  /t/1521235/6-8-bass-shakers-connection-please-advise#post_24445989

Hi there,

I am really really bad in understanding of the electronics and, perhaps, my question was answered hundred times before. I apologize in advance for that, but really need some 'real-life' advice on the following.

I have a HT system, with the Arcam Amplifer, Arcam AVP 700 processor and 7.2 speakers (2 subwofers run in parallel), 2 rows of the seats (3 chairs -first row, 1 chair+2 seat 'sofa' -second row). I always wanted to install simple bass shakers to add some subtle effect, so currently look at Aura Pro Bass Shakers (rated as 50 Watt @ 4 Ohms each).

As I understand, for a better effect, I need to get 3 (4?) pairs of the devices. I also believe that my connection type should be 'series/parallel' to keep the impedance of the install at 4 Ohms.

Now I don't understand how to connect those bass shakers to the Amplifier? Do I have to Y-split the subwoofer channel? I am afraid there is not enough power for this set-up... Do I have to Y-split subwoffer channel and add additional 'cheap' amplifier? But it seems to me I need to provide 300 (400) Watts of power to this and I am not sure there are 'cheap' amplifiers like that...

So, I am really puzzled and any help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Yevgen

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yevgen, The Denon AVR-X4000 has 2 subwoofer RCA outputs, so you could use one for your powered subwoofer, and the other for your tactile shaker's amplifier.  Yes, your shakers will need there own amplifier... just like a powered subwoofer does.

~~ I also believe that my connection type should be 'series/parallel' to keep the impedance of the install at 4 Ohms.

Yevgen, you are correct, you want the total impedance to be between 4 to 8 ohms.  Sorry Ahmedreda, but hooking 8 Aura shakers in parallel would only give .5 ohms resistance, and would kill the amplifier. 

I agree with Ahmedreda that buying a higher end shaker would work better than a lot of little shakers.  I would recommend buying the $530 Buttkicker LFE Kit, directly mounting it to the back of your front 3 seats... if they are all connected together.

If you have separate seating... You could:

1. Use the multiple Aura shakers, one amplifier, and rubber isolating feet on each chair.

2. You could build a raised platform and put the seats on it, then shake the whole platform with a couple of Buttkicker LFE's and about 8 rubber feet.

I too have been shopping for a shaker amplifier. My Buttkicker amplifier BKA1000N died and I still own a working BK-LFE. There are some reasonably affordable amplifiers:

- $330 Buttkicker BKA1000 could power all 8 Aura's or 2 LFE's. 

- $338 Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

- $300 Behringer EPX4000 with quiet fans modification, $12 Digikey part #P14751-ND... Twice the BKA1000 power

For rubber feet: Penn-Elcom 9145 Rubber Cabinet Foot 1.5" Dia. x 1.5" H are about $1 each.

I have been considering other professional amplifiers too... but they would require a $58 Rolls MB15 line-level converter to boost the home theater RCA subwoofer signal up to the professional XLR power level.  They also have loud fans, and would require swapping in quieter fans.  And the output is usually speakON connectors which would need a $17 Hosa Cable SKT410 Speakon to Banana Plug Speaker Cable to connect to the shaker.

- $400 Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP 2 x 3000W @ 4 Ohms (peak power, not RMS)

- $370 Behringer NU3000DSP 2 x 880 Watts into 4 Ohms

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Roswell is correct about having to use parallel/series when connecting 8. You can use this diagram and replace each block with 2 of the aura shakers connected in parallel. The diagram is for the Buttkicker Mini LFE which is 2ohm so connecting two of the aura shakers in parallel will yield the same 2 ohms since they are 4 ohms each.

You cannot use the second subwoofer output to feed the transducers. The X4000 uses XT32 so it will try to treat the shakers on sub2 as subwoofers. Your best bet is to have a non-room corrected signal out of your bluray player if you have something like the oppo 103 or the panasonic bdt-500. If not, your next best bet is to split one of your subwoofer signals. The only drawback is that it will be room corrected and it may not have the complete signal information if you have 2 subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell426  /t/1521235/6-8-bass-shakers-connection-please-advise#post_24450354

Yevgen, The Denon AVR-X4000 has 2 subwoofer RCA outputs, so you could use one for your powered subwoofer, and the other for your tactile shaker's amplifier.  Yes, your shakers will need there own amplifier... just like a powered subwoofer does.

~~ I also believe that my connection type should be 'series/parallel' to keep the impedance of the install at 4 Ohms.

Yevgen, you are correct, you want the total impedance to be between 4 to 8 ohms.  Sorry Ahmedreda, but hooking 8 Aura shakers in parallel would only give .5 ohms resistance, and would kill the amplifier. 

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friends,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am currently looking at Buttkicker LFE kit (there is 1 LFE unit) + 4 ButtKicker Mini LFE Subwoofer for Home Theater. A bigger LFE I'll attach to the sofa, while 4 others will go individually to the chairs. Perhaps it is the best solution. I have a platform for the second row, t filled with the sand and covered by carpet. Not sure I want to cut in...

The only question now is whether to use output from the main Sub-out, connecting subs to the Sub left and Sub right output for the subwoofers. Or make 2 Y cable connection form the main Sub-out and connect both subwoofers and buttkicker to the main (of course, via amplifier).

Kind regards,

Yevgen

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you have two subwoofers, there is no such thing as a main sub out. You have a sub1 and sub2 that corresponds to both subs. When you run Audyssey, just connect the two subwoofers and disconnect all of your shakers or at least turn them off.

After you run Audyssey, you will have the two subwoofer outputs sending signals with different characteristics to each subwoofer. Try both of them with the transducers and split the one you like better and use it to feed the subwoofer as well as all of your transducers.

If your subwoofers are symmetric to the MLP (ex. if you have both subs in the front at equal distances from MLP in a sealed room), the chances are they have very similar curves and you can use both of them to distribute the splits among both outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevlem  /t/1521235/6-8-bass-shakers-connection-please-advise#post_24450912

My friends,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am currently looking at Buttkicker LFE kit (there is 1 LFE unit) + 4 ButtKicker Mini LFE Subwoofer for Home Theater. A bigger LFE I'll attach to the sofa, while 4 others will go individually to the chairs. Perhaps it is the best solution. I have a platform for the second row, t filled with the sand and covered by carpet. Not sure I want to cut in...

The only question now is whether to use output from the main Sub-out, connecting subs to the Sub left and Sub right output for the subwoofers. Or make 2 Y cable connection form the main Sub-out and connect both subwoofers and buttkicker to the main (of course, via amplifier).

Kind regards,

Yevgen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts