Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Marantz SR5015, Epson projector, Focal Cobalt 816 speakers
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an amp for my system, and althogh I only have 5 speakers now, I would like 6 channels of amplification for future use.

Does anyone ever use 3 2-channel amps instead of 1 6-channel amp? Is that a silly idea? I may go with a Rotel amp, but they only have one 6-channel amp available, and it's only 60WPC.

I was thinking of going with three Rotel RB-1080 amps.
http://www.rotel.com/products/rb1080.htm

Please comment on my idea. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Check the Power Supplies and see how big per stereo channels the 6 channel amps PS is. There may be plenty of differences but when seperates are concerned I like to see where the juice is coming from.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have three Parasound 1000a,they are two channel amps with 125 watts in 8 ohm but 200 in 4 ohm . This is for my den theater with M&K 85. For my basement theater ,which construction will start any day now, it is a M&K 150 7.1 and have not decided what will power it. So no I dont think its silly but this was bought before some of the 6 amp packages were out. The sound is great though. A larger 6.amp one box might be a better deal price wise though.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
283 Posts
Power supplies is a big difference like HMurchison said. 5 & 6 channel amps will share a power supply, so make sure it's big enough to handle the capacity of all channels. The power supply will often come out smaller than for three 2 channel amps because it's not expected to run all 6 channels at max power at any particular moment (which is reasonable).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll have to forgive me, but I'm new at this and I don't understand what you're talking about. Could you explain in novice terms what your concern is about the power supply?

Rotel's website says the following regarding the 2-channel amp:
The Rotel-made toroidal transformer feeds separate power supplies for each channel, each with its own rectifiers, voltage regulators, and capacitor banks.
http://www.rotel.com/products/rb1080.htm

If this amp is made by a respected and reputable company like Rotel, can't I assume that the amplifiers they make all have sufficient power supplies?

Thanks!

PS.

(Rotel does make a six-channel amp, http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1066.htm , but it only delivers 60 watts per channel, and I want more power than that)

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Of course the other advantage of 3 two channel amps over 1 six channel amp is that if the six channel breaks down, you are out of luck and your audio system will be completely down until you get it fixed.

If anyone of the 3 two channel amps break down, you can still operate most of your audio system

Question for you, why not go with 7 channels since the standard now seems to be 7.1. You are better of with a least 1 three channel amp and either a 4 channel amp (if they make one) or 2 two channel amps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
or you can get 5, 6 or 7 one channel amp from Marantz, assuming they still make them. Five of the one channel amps was pretty close in price to 1 five channel amp of the same quality

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Benrub the Powersupply issue is not that large but if we were talkling about components that are similiar in price range then it might be a consideration. Moneywise a 5 channel amp should give you the most bang for the buck. The large the Powersupply the more "on demand" power the Amp can get generally. This would only affect users who are concerned about running a Power Hungry SUB or inefficient speakers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I own the cinepro 3k63 amp which is a 6 channel amp w/ 400 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers. it has a massive 21,000 watt output stage. plenty of power and can be bridged to 3 channels at 1000 watts if in the future you lose your mind like i did and use a second amp(cinepro 1kb) to power surrounds. the beauity of this amp is you can bridge the center channel at 1000 watts or power a sub or not use the 6th channel at all.its pretty flexable in case in the future you decide to upgrade.you can check it out at www.cinepro.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.