AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nightingale Pro 6 sound card with the 6 channel output. I downloaded the trial version of the WinDVD 3.0 but I can not get the 6 channels to work with the card. Is this card compatible? My goal is to run WinDVD DTS version through my computer's to the six channel input on my receiver. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I haven't tried WinDVD 3.0, but I do know that 2.6 works with card for DD, so maybe your driver settings are wrong?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You should try the 6 channel outs to see how they sound, but at this point in software, using the digital out to your receiver is a better option. This would either be coax or optical or both. Letting the receiver take care of the decoding seems to work better for most here. This is usually labled as SPDIF passthrough in software.

I think WinDVD should provide success with the digital out. This thread has not seen any very recent updates, but it is very useful: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...eference+spdif

Of course, if you get the 6 channel outs to work reliably for you, it may be easier than getting digital out. This all depends on your setup and components

good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I see a six channel output option in WinDVD, but it is greyed out and I can't see how to enable it; you might have to buy the 'full version' to get decode in WinDVD. I got windvd bundled with a Hauppauge WIN TV Nova card, but I've taken it off the system now. I do the 6 channel decode in PowerDVD no problem, the original version 3 didn't have it (if I remember right), but it arrived with the 3024 upgrade.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. The reason I want to use the 6 channel output to my reciever is because of DTS. I see that WinDVD offers a six channel DTS upgrade for around $40. My reciever Onkyo 555 only decodes DD not DTS. It is a lot easier to spend $40 than $300 or up for DTS Decoding. Is there another way to get the DTS decoding out of the Onkyo 555 reciever?

Mike

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I understand your motive now. I'm not sure how the DTS decoding in WinDVD is right now. If you have titles that you could passthrough in Dolby 5.1 instead of decoding DTS I would go that route. As for the DTS only titles, software decoding would be the only possibility that I know of.

good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.