AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been setting up my home theater setup over the past couple of days and have run into an a problem getting my HK 330 to play DVD audio via one of the surround modes (Dolby surround or Logic 7). I am able to get it to work by setting the AVR input to "6 channel direct", but not by setting it to "DVD". I'd like to be able to use the HK for bass management and for ezSetup, neither of which I can when it's set to "6 channel direct"

My Panasonic DVD97S is connected via HDMI directly to my TV for video and via the 6 surround cables to my AVR. At one point last night, I swear I had it working with the input set to "DVD", but now can't get it to work anymore. When setting the AVR to "DVD", I get no audio at all.

Any kind suggestions of where to start looking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In order to use the surround modes and base management of your receiver you need to hook up either analog stereo inputs (one pair of red and white wires) to the DVD inputs on the back of your receiver, or you need to hook up a digital connection between the DVD player and the receiver. Then you need to go into the receiver setup menu for the DVD input and tell the receiver where to look for the audio signal. This setup is designed to be used for watching movies on regular DVD's.

The six channel audio inputs that you are currently using are designed for DVD-A music discs. These inputs bypass all sound processing in the receiver. Any sound processing or base management must be done in the DVD player.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
IT doesnt work that way Rex, at least not on the HK330. To playback DVD-A you MUST use teh 6channel analog inputs(6 ch direct mode)...the only BM you have access to in that situation is what is available in your player

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you....just to clarify, when I say "DVD Audio", I don't mean audio only. I mean the audio portion of DVD video discs. For audio only, I'm using the pair of RCA jacks, that's working fine. I'll go digital.

Another BASIC question...can you really get true 5.1 surround sound out of just a pair of analog stereo inputs?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rex,

It looked like your query was about DVD-Audio (the high-rez format) so responses were addressing that.

You can get audio from a typical DVD player to your receiver in the following ways:
  1. Optical/coaxial digital audio output - In the DVD setup menu, you would specify that an audio bitstream is transmitted instead of PCM. Your A/V receiver would decode the audio (DD, DTS etc.)
  2. 6 channel analog (direct output) - The DVD player decodes the digital audio content (DD, DTS etc.) and sends it to your receiver. The receiver usually does no processing on this audio input. For this, your DVD player has to employ on-board digital-to-analog decoders; for example, Dolby Digital or DTS
  3. Stereo analog - This usually represents a non-surround audio mix for the front left+right channels. Depending on how it is derived in 2 channels, you may use a surround sound mode on your receiver to simulate a multi-speaker sourround experience
  4. For high-resolution (DVD-Audio/SA-CD) you would use the 6 channel direct output from your DVD player to transmit this format to your receiver. There are some variations on this but it is not worth mentioning here, since you do not appear to be discussing DVD-Audio

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Rex, you need to use either a digital coax or Optical(Toslink) cable between the dvd player and receiver. it will correct all your problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.