AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new pioneer SL 51 floor speakers and the CR 21 center. I have an older Pioneer reciever (VSX-811s)that I want to use . The speakers are 6 ohm and the reciever is 8 ohms. Is this ok - do i have wire them special to get the speakers to 8 ohms. I know this must be a real noob question because I read all 17 pages of the post on these speakers and it wasn't mention as a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you will be fine. I used to run 4 ohm speaker with my pioneer receiver. Just make sure you don't turn the volume to crazy levels.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You'll be perfectly fine. If the receiver has a setting for 6 ohms, DON'T use that setting unless the receiver ever goes into thermal protect mode (which it won't). In other words, leave it set to 8 ohms -- the default -- and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Just to echo what others have already said, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Good advice from everyone, so far. Of course, some "6 ohm speakers" are easier to drive than others. It depends upon at what frequency the impedance is measured. A speaker might be 8-32 ohms across most of it's band, but dip down to below 3 ohms in one region. If a speaker is refered to as 6 ohms, it could average out to 8 ohms, or 4 ohms. Sensitivity enters into the equation, too. If a speaker is on the borderline of shutting your receiver off due to low impedance, low sensitivity will exacerbate that problem, because you'll turn the receiver up higher. You'll know when you reach your limit, because your receiver will go into protection. You'll know not to listen quite that loud in the future. As an additional comment, turning up bass and/or treble makes things worse.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydj /forum/post/19522208

you will be fine. I used to run 4 ohm speaker with my pioneer receiver. Just make sure you don't turn the volume to crazy levels.

Been there and done that - it will be ok. As Paul says, watch the

bass and treble also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts