AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
It will not be a problem. That HK will easily drive a 6 ohm load.

No matter what the nominal ohms are of any speaker, their loads are frequency dependent. JBL L890 is rated @ 8 ohms, but between 80~250 htz, the impedance drops to 3 ohms, and a HK AVR will drive them very well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard Harman kardon receivers were some of the best. My speakers will be around 750 watts. Is that a god receiver to power them?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Speakers don't "have watts", amps do.

All you care about on your speakers is the efficiency and ohm load.

95% of the time you'll probably drive your speakers with less than 5 watts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on Hooking up two 8 inch subs and one 10 inch sub to the reliever by the way. The two 8 inch are the 6 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Why 3 subs? Are they powered subs?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsGambit /forum/post/20798804

I plan on Hooking up two 8 inch subs and one 10 inch sub to the reliever by the way. The two 8 inch are the 6 ohm speakers.

As long as they are self powered, it will make no difference as to their ohms.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I don't know what you are doing, but if it's some sort of parallel hookup, you could end up with a lower than 6 ohm impedance. See ohm's law for details.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20801174

I don't know what you are doing, but if it's some sort of parallel hookup, you could end up with a lower than 6 ohm impedance. See ohm's law for details.

I just looked it up on wiki and I cant understand it.

The JVC speakers came with a MXJ-900 so they are all in one. Will those blow the harmon karden receiver?

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsGambit /forum/post/20802644

I just looked it up on wiki and I cant understand it.

The JVC speakers came with a MXJ-900 so they are all in one. Will those blow the harmon karden receiver?

Are you hooking up these speakers?

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...lId=MODL014065

And if so, are there 2 sets of hook-ups for each speaker? The product description seems to indicate that the main full-range part of the speaker (front facing) is totally separate to the side-firing woofers. Thus each speaker is essentially 2 speakers in one, needing a total of 4 channels to amplify the pair.

If that is the case, then I think using these speakers is a terrible idea. Or at least, use them only as the front-firing speakers, and ignore the separate side-firing woofers. If each section is rated at 6ohm, then hooking both sections up to one channel each will present a 3ohm load to the receiver, which is not a good idea (overloading the amp).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Let's say you have a garden hose of a given width and length that will permit so many gallons/minute to pass through.

What happens if you hook up an identical length of garden hose using a splitter at the spigot? The "resistance" to water flow from the point of view of the faucet is cut in half.

Same principle in effect when you combine two resistive loads in parallel. The effective resistance is cut in half if they have identical resistances, or becomes some value less than the smaller of the 2 if they're unequal values based on the formula 1/Reff = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn.

Bottom line, unless you parallel two or more speakers whose nominal impedance causes the effective impedance to be less than the value the receiver is rated to support.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
You're trying to use boom box speakers with your new HK receiver? Really?

Please buy some better speakers, even if you have to buy used on craigislist.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds /forum/post/20802702

Are you hooking up these speakers?

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...lId=MODL014065

And if so, are there 2 sets of hook-ups for each speaker? The product description seems to indicate that the main full-range part of the speaker (front facing) is totally separate to the side-firing woofers. Thus each speaker is essentially 2 speakers in one, needing a total of 4 channels to amplify the pair.

If that is the case, then I think using these speakers is a terrible idea. Or at least, use them only as the front-firing speakers, and ignore the separate side-firing woofers. If each section is rated at 6ohm, then hooking both sections up to one channel each will present a 3ohm load to the receiver, which is not a good idea (overloading the amp).

Yea they have two negative and two positive on the back of each speaker. I was just plugging those in to both A and B L and R side and just had those both on when playing music.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20802813

By the way, I'd rather have this receiver than the HK 1600 and it cost less too!
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...568a789ffaen02

This is the equivalent of the RX-V667. Better room calibration on the Yamaha and preouts for external amplification.

That sale ends before I'm going to purchase a receiver

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
Well check for another sale when you're ready to make a purchase. Something else will be on sale along with that HK by then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts