AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a integra dtr 40.1 receiver and quad 22l2 speakers rated at 6ohm.

My question is the receiver has the ability to adjust the ohm setting to

4 ohm or 6 ohm at 6 ohm the receiver can heat up and shut down should i set the receiver to 4 ohm to compensate for this the unit has plenty of air flow, and could the 4 ohm setting harm the speakers.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Best setting is 8 Ohms, the 4 and/or 6 Ohm position limits the power supply output reducing overall power and headroom..

Just my $0.01...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response

but that doesn't answer the shut down problem and the receiver cant be set to 8 ohm

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The default setting is 8ohm.

The 4ohm setting shouldn't harm the speakers. Many 4ohm speakers are not that hard to drive. Unless you have heating or shutdown problems leave it at the default - 8ohms.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
My suggestion would be to get a computer case fan to help keep that receiver cool. Go to coolerguys.com and choose the fan(s) of your liking in their home theater section. Very good,affordable solution that will help. Leave the receiver on the 6 ohm setting as when you you set it to 4 ohm you are affecting the amps power by almost 1/2. I have my 876 set up with 1 120mm case fan and the thing barely gets warm even when driving it really hard. The fans are worth the investment and thet are not nearly as expensive as replacing the AVR or a repair bill. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts