AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to have some power amp recommendations. I need at least 7 channels. 8 or 9 channels are OK as well. My preferrance:

1. Minimum 6 channels. Or 7 or even 8 channels of amplification

1. All channel driven 100 watts or more. 120 ~ 150 would be better though not absolutely necessary.

2. Balanced inputs

3. Price range: Less than $2.5 garnd, hopefully less than 2 grand or even 1.5 grand, new or used.

I currently use an ONKYO 805 receiver with an Emotiva XPA 3 for 3 frontal speakers. The rest of the speakers, side surrounds and rear surrounds are driven by the ONKYO. Speakers are all Def Tech, Mythos ST for the front L&R, Mythos 10 for the center, Mythos STS for the side surrounds and Mythos GEM XL for the rear surrounds. My sub is a JL F112. I will be buying a Pre/Pro to replace the ONKYO in the near future and need an amplifier to go with it. It will be driving 4 surruounds and maybe 2 heights. The surrounds + 2 heights = 6 channels. Then later I might add 2 Widths, totalling 8 channels. My room is not big and I don't need huge power. 200 watts/channel is I think overkill. Thank you for your suggestion.

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you like it, I would keep the XPA-3 and pick up UPA-series amp(s) for the other channels as required. That way you keep the power for the "front line" and spend less money for the lower power needs of the surrounds and rears (plus whatever). That also allows you to spread the power and heat of the various amp stages around.

The difference between 100 and 150 W is pretty insignificant (1.76 dB) unless you think you are going to clip with 100 W all the time. It takes about 3 dB, or twice the power, to even notice anything, and 10 dB (10 times the power) to double the volume.

I doubt you will hear any difference with balanced connections unless you have a stadium for a media room.

IMO - Don

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DonH50,

Thank you for your input. The XPA-3 I have is OK. At least it handles more power better than the ONKYO 805. But I can't say how the XPA-3 compares to similarly-speced amps from other brands for I have never owned anything other than the XPA-3. The UPA-7 maybe a pretty decent amp. But I would like to prefer one with balanced inputs as an insurance for the future (you never know what kind of compoent layout change I might have).

I noticed Marants has a 8-channel power amp and ONKYO has a 9 channel power amp and both come with balanced inputs. They are rated like 140 ~150 watts. But I think it is a measurement based on 1 or 2 channels driven. Does anyone know how they compare with the UPA-7 when all channels are driven?

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You should take a look at Sherbourn amps. They have a 7 channel that is excellent and is generally $1,200 used. Each channel has it's own torroid so that all channels can be driven at full power even when all channels are used at the same time. It is a beast at 115 pounds however! It also requires you to use 2 power cords because if you were to use the full power under 4 ohm load speakers, you would exceed the amperage of a single circuit. It is 200wpc with 8ohms and 300wpc with 4ohms. It does have balanced and unbalanced for each channel and can be triggered automatically when audio is detected or with a 12volt trigger. It is also bridgeable if you need 400 watts or more for a single channel

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mklnez,

The Sherbourn you suggested has more power than I need. It's rated at 200 watts per channel. Probably it eats more energy when it's on stanby mode or even switched off. I would like to keep energy bill and carbon footprint lower.

Regarding the Emotive UPA-7 suggeste earlier, I went to read the review on the Audioholics and noticed it has less-than impressive cross talk figures. Does anyone have any comment on this based on actual use of the unit?

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Crosstalk below -50 dB at 10 kHz to one idle channel with all others driven is not something you will hear in practice. BTW, I did not think the UPA series had balanced inputs? That would not be on my radar screen as a priority, but since you mentioned it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.