AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new center channel that says it is 6 ohms. My reciever has a switch on the back for 4 or 8 ohms. Is it safe to use this speaker for this reciever? I bought two front speakers that are 8 ohms. What is better 6 or 8 ohms?

Also does the thicker the speaker wire give you better sound?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Leave your AVR in 8 ohm mode. It is fine to run a 6ohm speaker with an AVR.

Speaker wire depends on the length and gauge. 16 gauge is good for most applications. 16 gauge or a lower number (wire gets thicker with lower numbers). Monoprice has great prices for speaker wire. Don't spend a lot on speaker wire. It is all copper and as long as it is coated well, it is all the same.

Thicker wire won't give you better sound if the previous wire was thick enough. If a wire is too small, it will create resistance that can affect the sound. Once you get above the proper thickness there will be no sonic benefit by going overboard.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Which setting is best depends on knowing the speaker's impedance curve, but in your case just set it to 4 ohms and you'll be fine.

Thicker (larger, numerically lower) speaker wire can give better sound if your current wire is small enough (and/or long enough) to significantly (noticeably) degrade the sound. Unless you have really long runs (>25' or so to the main L/R, longer to the surrounds is OK), really small wire (

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/19641457

Leave your AVR in 8 ohm mode. It is fine to run a 6ohm speaker with an AVR.

Speaker wire depends on the length and gauge. 16 gauge is good for most applications. 16 gauge or a lower number (wire gets thicker with lower numbers). Monoprice has great prices for speaker wire. Don't spend a lot on speaker wire. It is all copper and as long as it is coated well, it is all the same.

Thicker wire won't give you better sound if the previous wire was thick enough. If a wire is too small, it will create resistance that can affect the sound. Once you get above the proper thickness there will be no sonic benefit by going overboard.

Thanks for all the advice, I went out and got a spool of 16 guage because the previous runs were spliced together and roughly 20 feet so I figure running all brand new 16 guage would be the best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts