AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have looked through the forums for an answer to this but I can't really see an uptodate solution based on technology today.

I am trying to acheive a 6 room media set up via HDTV's in each room and a sever somewhere in the house. i don't need online streaming or internet access though that is a nice bonus for the future.

all my content will be stored on one PC which i can build to order.

the issue is that there is a high chance of all 6 rooms playing different content at the same time. so all of the local servers such as plex seem to breakdown at that point or require complex server set ups.

I can wire this or use dedicated wifi as i am in the design phase. my options so far seem to revolve around some sort of set top box such as roku or a chrome cast for wifi. would i be better storing my content on some sort of NAS drive?

what will be the most relaible way of ensuring a simple no headache point and click UI for each person in the rooms?

thanks in advance
mal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plex media playback will also be limited by transcoding capabilities. A run of the mill i5 can only do at max 2 concurrent 1080p streams. Also I have run into issues with my plex server basically maxing out with one stream due to the endpoint player (PS4 will not work as well as an XBoxOne.)

Just FYI... the storage and presentation associated with a plex/nas is great but weigh your options as that many streams may need beefy hardware.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts