AVS Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes! I looked back and LTD had me use the -1 and +1 for the connections within the enclosures thanks Joseph.

done thanks John

your narrative was clear but thanks John :) I need something fun to do (the room has been a mixed bag hehe) whereas this stuff has always been enjoyable. Pics forthcoming!
What size/brand/type speaker wire did you use for your subs, and how did you get them all in 1 Speakon connector for the parallel connection to your subs? I plan on doing almost the same front speaker setup as yours!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
What size/brand/type speaker wire did you use for your subs, and how did you get them all in 1 Speakon connector for the parallel connection to your subs? I plan on doing almost the same front speaker setup as yours!
Thanks
Hey NXS, sorry for the late response.

I used this wire. Regarding the connections see this post.

Good luck! You will love them!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey NXS, sorry for the late response.

I used this wire. Regarding the connections see this post.

Good luck! You will love them!
I don't have as much room as you do, so I am working with LTD02 on a new design. He is a great guy!

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
So how did you actually connect the wire to the SpeakOn connectors? Because you ran them parallel you had to fit more then one set of wires in a single SpeakOn connector, or connected them in a 3-way Y.
Did you use this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speakon-Spl...583475?hash=item43fdc87c33:g:tlgAAOSwLEtYme5v

if you want to keep costs down:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1533753-how-make-y-splitter-speakon.html

just try to keep the split close to the amp. damping factor can get borderline if using long wire runs from the amp to the subs and then split near the subs.

also, keep an eye on whether the drivers will be wired in series or parallel. i think your rig were going to be in series while ddigler's are in parallel.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
So how did you actually connect the wire to the SpeakOn connectors? Because you ran them parallel you had to fit more then one set of wires in a single SpeakOn connector, or connected them in a 3-way Y.
Did you use this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speakon-Spl...583475?hash=item43fdc87c33:g:tlgAAOSwLEtYme5v

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1533753-how-make-y-splitter-speakon.html

just try to keep the split close to the amp. damping factor can get borderline if using long wire runs from the amp to the subs and then split near the subs.

also, keep an eye on whether the drivers will be wired in series or parallel. i think your rig were going to be in series while ddigler's are in parallel.
for my VBSS setup I used these binding posts and just daisy chained them.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38sn-hd-binding-post-pair-satin-nickel--091-1247

·
Registered
425 Posts

Yeah your right. I don't know why I was thinking parallel. You designed it to be connected in series. So should I run 4-pairs of wires from amp to sub locations, or do series connection at sub location? Oh and I will be staying with the 460HO subs!

·
Registered
161 Posts
LTD, nice one going for more less costly drivers instead of less costly drivers ;). This is the way to make it easier on the drivers and the amps and should be comparable in result (I expect better).

2 thumbs up for LTD :cool:

it was asked how this system would compare to some of the other drivers mention.

1w response of a handful of systems (at prices on p.e. at the moment)

6 x pa460 (red) $540
3 x pa465 (green) $660
2 x um18 (black) $558
2 x 460ho (blue) $524

all in the same cabs ~11cf tuned to ~17.5hz. i don't like the way the pa465 (green) is modeling, but ymmv.

max output at the usable excursion of the pa460, um18 (the um may have a hair more excursion left, but it is power limited at 2kw), 460ho, and xmax for the 465 (I've not seen this driver measured physically so i don't know how xmax was calculated).

anyway, the pa460 system gets away with a 3000dsp
the 460ho and um18 would need to step up to the 6000dsp or a pair of bridged 3000dsp if you want remote turn on and no thump without doing the internal relay mod to the 6000.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I don't have as much room as you do, so I am working with LTD02 on a new design. He is a great guy!
Glad you got it sorted NXS - yes, @LTD02 is the man. Building the subs and going through that process was one of my fav parts of the whole thing.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
Yeah your right. I don't know why I was thinking parallel. You designed it to be connected in series. So should I run 4-pairs of wires from amp to sub locations, or do series connection at sub location? Oh and I will be staying with the 460HO subs!

I'm not sure what I was thinking, for series wired subs, the Y would need to be down toward the subwoofer location itself. In this case, just double up the wire so each long leg heading down toward the subs is extra heavy gauge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Awesome thread and build ddiggler!

I'll build four for my theater!

Reactions: ddigler

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reactions: ddigler

·
Registered