AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first post! GREAT Forum!

I'm finally making the jump to HD (after years of great service from an old 55" Toshiba TheatreView) I have firmly decided on a 60"

My home theatre is in a very dark basement and my seating area is 10 - 12 feet away.

I'm a diehard gamer and own a PS3 and the new X-Box Elite and I just have to play Gears of War and Resistance "Fall of Man" in 1080p.

I was seriously thinking Sony SXRD KDS60A2020 (I really like it the new black color) The XBR version of the SXRD is just a tad out of my price range and I really don't like the style of it... It looks really "Old School"

A turn off for me on the 2020 SXRD was only 2 HDMI ins and no split screen or PIP so I began looking at other makes.

After some research today and dropping by a retailer , I am for the first time considering a Samsung. I was quite inpressed with their new LED HLT 6189S and the slightly less expensive 6187S (What's the diff? just the bluetooth and enhanced USB? Is that it?)

The Sammy website shows 4 different 61"s and I like the 2 LED light engine models best.

Are these good sets? I like the idea of a long life and no lamps to replace. The remote and menus seems pretty good and the set is visually very nice in the piano black (I am however slightly turned off by the thin frame)

Is there anything else in this size and price range I should consider?

I can get a pretty sweet deal on a Pioneer as I know someone who sells them as well as Toshiba. What's the buzz surrounding the new Pioneers?

I run a satellite as well as conventional cable (just for local content) and I plan on upgrading my sat to an HD receiver and will eventually get a HD-DVD / Blu Ray combo player as they get cheaper. Gaming is my number one purpose for buying this new set.

One last question and hopefully someone can shed some light... I am running an old Onkyo Integra 909 7 channel Dolby Pro Logic tuner-amp (I know, no 5.1 or 7.1, but it rocks) and am not ready to get rid of it just yet. I have 7 Cerwin Vegas tied into it and it shakes the house.

My dilemma is that if I jack in the PS3, the X-Box and an HD sat into the 3 HDMI "ins" on say, the Samsung how will I get the audio to my tuner-amp?

The Onkyo of course has an optical in (which is now being used for my DVD player) If I was to run the optical out from the new HDTV and plug it into the optical in on the amp would the sound from the HDMI devices simply come through the amp? I guess I should dig out the manual, but I'm not sure if the optical in on the Onkyo is designated (When I first bought the amp I only had one device with an "op" in and have had others (PS2 / a laserdisc player)

I would not rather have to shell out a grand or $1500 for a new amp that is comparable to the old Onkyo powerhouse.

If I can get sound from HDMI devices jacked into a new TV into my old amp then I suppose I have no choice. Help! (Sorry if this portion of my post should have gone to another part of this great forum)

Lexxx

Winnipeg

·
Registered
15,311 Posts
IMO, the lack of interest is due to 1) the holiday weekend, and 2) the fact that these "what should I get" threads are posted over and over again. There are major threads on the Sony LCOS and Samsung DLP displays you mention, so a search will give you lots of useful info. In short, these are the 2 most popular displays, and one is not better than the other (it just comes down to personal preference). But reading other threads or responses in this thread is not going to give you the most useful info, rather you need to go see them in stores to see which has the features you want and which PQ looks best to your eyes. One advantage of the Samsungs, by the way, is that they accept 1080p over HDMI and component, which may be important to you for all your gaming systems.

·
Registered
500 Posts
my only concern with the LED's is the life of them i have seen them rated at like 20,000 hrs granted a bulb set will last 5000- 8000 hrs but what is the cost of replacing the LED's, i have even heard that some of these LED's cant be replaced and you would need to replace the whole light engine $$$ i could be wrong but i think its something that needs to be researched

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
20,000 hours at 6 hours a day average viewing time is a tad over 9 years. Of course if the set's on 12 hours a day (not unheard of in some houselholds) it's more like 4 1/2 years.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i saw you metnioned you wnat to get an HD/BD combo player, why tno jstu buy tehHD add on for your elite? then your PS3 will play BD and elite will play HD?

the samsung TV's ahve an optical audio output, but im nto sure ifitwill output surroudn sound from HDMI sources.

also keep in mind that samsung will acept 1080P through component, shoudl you fidn a need for that.

idotn have an LED DLP, but i have last years HL-S6197W and i love it.

a buddy of mien has a sony SXRD 60" andloves his. the reason i went with samsugn was becaue of the 1080P component input

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxxus /forum/post/0

...Is there anything else in this size and price range I should consider?...

The JVC D-ILA 61 inch FH 96 or 97 are also worth looking into. Every bit as good as the Sonys in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts