AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the money ready to spend, but they just don't make what I am looking for. I would have thought that someone would have announced a 60-65" LED based LCD, but no. Disappointed. Am I missing something? Does such a product exist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Other than the Sharp XS1 and the old Sony 70XBR3 (which lacks local dimming), the biggest LED LCD is 2007's Samsung 5781F, but you'll probably struggle to find one of those still around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
Don't be surprised to see the R&D period lapse and see a 50% drop in that MSRP - The original 65" 9 months after debuting at 20-25K and 57" $15K 6 months were cut by 50% on October 2, 2006.


The timing would occur close to when Samsung brings out it's next LED's and Sharps next 65" debuts around June (non-LED) and I see them having two platforms for high end and mid range but there's not a large market segment today for $15K panels plus Sharps next gen Sakai plant will be producing more volume in larger sizes in the coming months. I'm predicting based upon actually history of the original 65/57" and I patiently waited to buy into the 57" with regrets of not going for the 65" size at the time.


I've waited now another 2.5 yrs waiting for a 65" with deeper blacks like the XS1 and will be patient hoping for a repeat MSRP cut especially in this consumer market it's hard to believe they could keep the pricing at $15K when the SE94 sells for under $5K and the D64 closer to $3K. Sharps seems to bank on getting it's R&D funded by early adopters with cash and then bring the lines down to reality and segregate their lines but I don't see alot of opportunities to get much surplus cash in this market. That XS1 sounds like a great panel provided they bring it closer to reality of what a Kuro Elite sells for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/15567570


've waited now another 2.5 yrs waiting for a 65" with deeper blacks like the XS1 and will be patient hoping for a repeat MSRP cut especially in this consumer market it's hard to believe they could keep the pricing at $15K when the SE94 sells for under $5K and the D64 closer to $3K. Sharps seems to bank on getting it's R&D funded by early adopters with cash and then bring the lines down to reality and segregate their lines but I don't see alot of opportunities to get much surplus cash in this market. That XS1 sounds like a great panel provided they bring it closer to reality of what a Kuro Elite sells for.

If they're going to do it, they better hurry up about it, I'll be buying soon. So far the price cuts on the XS1s have been miserly, nothing at all like what Sharp did with the SE94s.


Having said that, it looks like there was finally a small drop in the price in Japan, which is a marked improvement from the previous flatlining. They're in the ~$11,000 range now, although that comes with the caveat that the yen is sitting at a stratospheric level right now.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 /forum/post/15564499


I have the money ready to spend, but they just don't make what I am looking for. I would have thought that someone would have announced a 60-65" LED based LCD, but no. Disappointed. Am I missing something? Does such a product exist?

Frustratingly, I'm right there with you. I too was waiting for the CES 2010 refresh this year to replace my 65" Mitsu Diamond from 2001 (it's a big box). How is it, with the evolution of these sets, that no one would have anyone announced a 65" backlit LED? I'd rather not go with some heavy plasma and since the Kuro's are gone, I don't think there's anything too great in that size anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003 /forum/post/18167123


Frustratingly, I'm right there with you. I too was waiting for the CES 2010 refresh this year to replace my 65" Mitsu Diamond from 2001 (it's a big box). How is it, with the evolution of these sets, that no one would have anyone announced a 65" backlit LED? I'd rather not go with some heavy plasma and since the Kuro's are gone, I don't think there's anything too great in that size anyway.

There are plenty of 60+ lcds on the horizon. Sony just released the ex500 series for a VERY reasonable price. Vizeo has a 72" for even cheaper coming out. Other manufactures are following too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Wow 72" that might be worth waiting depending on the quality i am off to there site to see what the have on it. now is this just going to be a big tv or will it accually have qaulity i just came back from the site and there is no mention of a 72"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
I believe Toshiba is releasing it's CELL TV in 65".


You'd probably have to sell several internal organs to afford it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurking /forum/post/18167199


yeah, 72 inch LED-backlit Vizio for $3500. Look forward to it!

How is the Vizio line on quality now? I recall hearing in the past that it wasn't as good as everyone else, basically a poor man's hdtv at one point....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser /forum/post/18167167


There are plenty of 60+ lcds on the horizon. Sony just released the ex500 series for a VERY reasonable price. Vizeo has a 72" for even cheaper coming out. Other manufactures are following too.

I guess I was concentrating on the Samsung C9000 so badly, that I missed some of the other announcements. I believe the C9000 is stopping at 55" unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Thanks for the link, I just might hold off on getting my TV. I was planning on buying one in April or may but it might be worth the wait.. my only concern that I see and I could be wrong because I don’t know crap about all this tech stuff, yet that’s why I am here, anyways it says it has wireless HDMI do you think we will still get the best quality with wireless rather than a direct cable??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003 /forum/post/18167597


How is the Vizio line on quality now? I recall hearing in the past that it wasn't as good as everyone else, basically a poor man's hdtv at one point....

In a survey of 118,700 LCD owners, Vizio was the equal of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic in terms of reliability. From 2006 to mid-2009, owners reported needing repairs only ~3% of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18168648


In a survey of 118,700 LCD owners, Vizio was the equal of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic in terms of reliability. From 2006 to mid-2009, owners reported needing repairs only ~3% of the time.

And what about PQ?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top