AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im planin on buyin a xga lcd projecotr soon and like the majority of first time buyers of pj i hae this question. Should i run my pj and dvd in 4:3 ratio or the 16:9 ratio. Now majoirty of my viewing will be dvd's and hdtv so i know i should buy the 45*80 ratio screen (a 16:9 ratio movie on the 60*80 screen will have the same measurement of 45*80) but my question is tat i heard when u run your pj in 4:3 ratio you use the full resolution of the pj but in 16:9 you loose a little. So wat should i do should i run my dvd and pj in 4:3 ratio and use all the resolution and get the 45*80 screen or run the pj and dvd in 16:9 ratio and get the 45*80 screen.....

ps ....if i run the pj and dvd in 4:3 ratio and get the 45*80 screen ill just move the pj back enough so the black bars just project above and below the screen......

any help is appreciated ....thanks :confused:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You might be better off asking this on the Digital PJ forum. It really makes no diffrence in terms of the SCREEN.

ALWAYS always run the DVD in 16:9 mode and use you PJ or HTPC adjustments from there. Using 4:3 mode on the DVD player will result in a loss of resolution.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if ur right about runnig the dvd player in 16:9 or ill losse resolution i have no choice but to have the pj in 16:9 mode so lthe image will come out right...thanks for the help...really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
16:9. 10' back from a 6' wide screen, good DVDs could be a bit bigger and the rest are at least watchable. OTOH, with an NTSC form factor VHS is unwatchable and Dish not too pretty.

Conversely, putting the lower-quality 4:3 sources in a 50x40.5" window box makes them watchable to good. Although you may use fewer pixels, you're definately not loosing resolution (VHS is about 320 black and white pixels across and as few as 50 colored elements).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.