AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these TVs are the same price right now. And from what I can tell, the 2014 P series is better due to it's higher dimming zone count and better clear action for motion blur. And as a weird thing for me, the 2014 P with the pedestal actually works better because I can put a little riser underneath the base so it won't overlap my sound bar. So my question is -- given they are (around) the same price, the P is *better* in most respects correct?

Thanks,
The Dan

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
No. Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the M60 over the P602.

The backlight scanning (Clear Action) isnt very effective on either set and should be left off, IMO. So that is a non-issue.

The main issue is the differing amount of dimming zones. This issue becomes of greater concern the larger the screen size > favoring the P...with 60 maybe being the crossover point.

Since you have a side issue that makes the M preferable, go for it, and dont look back.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
No. Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the M60 over the P602.

The backlight scanning (Clear Action) isnt very effective on either set and should be left off, IMO. So that is a non-issue.

The main issue is the differing amount of dimming zones. This issue becomes of greater concern the larger the screen size > favoring the P...with 60 maybe being the crossover point.

Since you have a side issue that makes the M preferable, go for it, and dont look back.
I think you have it backwards for his particular scenario. The P series is the one that will fit his space better with its central pedestal.

There is one very important difference that has not been mentioned yet. The 2015 M-series has much more precise fine tuning of the motion interpolation function than the P-series does. I have had a chance to test it yet but the rtings.com review of it shows that the results are much more customizable now.

If motion blur is an issue for you then the 2015 M-series will give you much better control of it.

I just bought a P-series and I am going to buy a 2015 M-series next week. I predict that I will enjoy them both specifically because I need the benefits of the P-series in one room and the benefits of the M-series in another room.

I still can’t believe that you can get a “GOOD” 60” 4K Tv for under $1400.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-P602ui-B3-60-4K-Ultra-HD-240Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-TV/36125833

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have it backwards for his particular scenario. The P series is the one that will fit his space better with its central pedestal.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-P602ui-B3-60-4K-Ultra-HD-240Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-TV/36125833
Yeah, the pedestal thing is really kind of big thing and I already have this riser I can use to both raise it above my sound bar and allow it swivel. I guess what I was really trying to say was this: these TVs are pretty identical in performance in general. Certain areas are better with the P series and some are better in the M. But it seems to me it kind of nets out in *general*.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yeah, the pedestal thing is really kind of big thing and I already have this riser I can use to both raise it above my sound bar and allow it swivel. I guess what I was really trying to say was this: these TVs are pretty identical in performance in general. Certain areas are better with the P series and some are better in the M. But it seems to me it kind of nets out in *general*.
They are both very similar TVs. For the price you can't go wrong with either one of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm contemplating the same thing with the exception that I'm looking at the 65" versions. This TV is going into a very bright room with large windows. Lots of ambient light and some reflections that are hard to control that impact viewing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon (working other days of the week). The price of the p-series is actually slightly cheaper right now, but largely negligible in the decision making. My main concerns are: 1) best to deal with bright light, 2) future proofing/online 4k content availability 3) contrast/overall picture quality 4) style. Below is my thinking on each of these items and I would appreciate input from others including the folks that started/commented on this thread and may have experience with this.

1) Rtings rated the max white brightness higher on the p-series. 400 cd/m2 vs. 310 cd/m2. I'd think this would give the edge to the P-Series in terms of handling high ambient light conditions. However, my unscientific comparison of the screens at Sam's Club led me to believe the finish on the M-series was slightly less glossy than the P-series, which would reduce reflections from direct light sources.

2) It looks like the the M-series supports VP9 for Youtube 4K support whereas the P-series does not. This was based on reviews as I could not find confirmation of this on Vizio's Web site. I'd be somewhat surprised if the P-series had not received this update if it is in fact available on the M-series. Additionally, I would think the newer model year (M-series being a 2015 model) might get updates longer than the 2014 P-series. I have no experience with Vizio so this is purely a conjecture on my part.

3) I think it's split. More zones and greater brightness on the P-series vs. better up-scaling of 1080p and slightly better contrast on the M-series. Of course, this is based on Rtings reviews as I was unable to directly compare the two sets.

4) I definitely like the stand, slightly slimmer bezels (.79 vs. .59), and unobtrusive Vizio badge on the M-Series. I think it looks better, and more premium overall. I'm hoping too that I can better fit a short center channel speaker in front of the M-series. In fact, I'd appreciate it if anyone could share the height from the surface (e.g. entertainment stand/console) to the bottom of the screen on the 65" M-Series. Of course, I don't want to buy an inferior TV because I like the stand better.

And finally, I'm choosing these Vizio TVs over models like the Sony XBR-65X850B, XBR-65X800B, and to a lesser extent (because they are much more expensive and hard to find open box, etc.) the XBR-65X850C. Mistake not to go Sony?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I'm contemplating the same thing with the exception that I'm looking at the 65" versions. This TV is going into a very bright room with large windows. Lots of ambient light and some reflections that are hard to control that impact viewing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon (working other days of the week). The price of the p-series is actually slightly cheaper right now, but largely negligible in the decision making. My main concerns are: 1) best to deal with bright light, 2) future proofing/online 4k content availability 3) contrast/overall picture quality 4) style. Below is my thinking on each of these items and I would appreciate input from others including the folks that started/commented on this thread and may have experience with this.

1) Rtings rated the max white brightness higher on the p-series. 400 cd/m2 vs. 310 cd/m2. I'd think this would give the edge to the P-Series in terms of handling high ambient light conditions. However, my unscientific comparison of the screens at Sam's Club led me to believe the finish on the M-series was slightly less glossy than the P-series, which would reduce reflections from direct light sources.

2) It looks like the the M-series supports VP9 for Youtube 4K support whereas the P-series does not. This was based on reviews as I could not find confirmation of this on Vizio's Web site. I'd be somewhat surprised if the P-series had not received this update if it is in fact available on the M-series. Additionally, I would think the newer model year (M-series being a 2015 model) might get updates longer than the 2014 P-series. I have no experience with Vizio so this is purely a conjecture on my part.

3) I think it's split. More zones and greater brightness on the P-series vs. better up-scaling of 1080p and slightly better contrast on the M-series. Of course, this is based on Rtings reviews as I was unable to directly compare the two sets.

4) I definitely like the stand, slightly slimmer bezels (.79 vs. .59), and unobtrusive Vizio badge on the M-Series. I think it looks better, and more premium overall. I'm hoping too that I can better fit a short center channel speaker in front of the M-series. In fact, I'd appreciate it if anyone could share the height from the surface (e.g. entertainment stand/console) to the bottom of the screen on the 65" M-Series. Of course, I don't want to buy an inferior TV because I like the stand better.

And finally, I'm choosing these Vizio TVs over models like the Sony XBR-65X850B, XBR-65X800B, and to a lesser extent (because they are much more expensive and hard to find open box, etc.) the XBR-65X850C. Mistake not to go Sony?
No Vizio TVs support VP9. You can still play youtube videos but the max resolution will be 1080p.

Yes the Vizio P-series has more zones but the zones in the M-series are MUCH more effective. I have a P-series and the M-series now and the local dimming is better on the M-series for all situations. The P-series can have blooming issues and its local dimming is not as aggressive which is better in my opinion.

Also rtings.com has suggested to not use local dimming. In my opinion that is bad advice at least with the M-series. It is very effective for creating deep black bars for letterboxed widescreen movies. The checkboard test patterns that he used are not good at showing how effective the local dimming is. A letterboxed movie image is a much better test image.

Both are great TVs but I would still buy the M-series over the P-series even in a brightly lit room. The local dimming is better in the M-series despite having less zones and you have to turn the backlight down on these TVs no matter how bright the environment is. Both TVs will be able to achieve the necessary brightness even in very bright situations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Vizio TVs support VP9. You can still play youtube videos but the max resolution will be 1080p.

Yes the Vizio P-series has more zones but the zones in the M-series are MUCH more effective. I have a P-series and the M-series now and the local dimming is better on the M-series for all situations. The P-series can have blooming issues and its local dimming is not as aggressive which is better in my opinion.

Also rtings.com has suggested to not use local dimming. In my opinion that is bad advice at least with the M-series. It is very effective for creating deep black bars for letterboxed widescreen movies. The checkboard test patterns that he used are not good at showing how effective the local dimming is. A letterboxed movie image is a much better test image.

Both are great TVs but I would still buy the M-series over the P-series even in a brightly lit room. The local dimming is better in the M-series despite having less zones and you have to turn the backlight down on these TVs no matter how bright the environment is. Both TVs will be able to achieve the necessary brightness even in very bright situations.

Great advice - thank you. I'm really leaning toward the M-Series - now I just need a deal on the M65-C1. The 60" and other sizes are "on-sale," but the 65" is not I assume because it is a newer release. As soon as it drops, I think I'm going to bite. I have 10% off movers coupon for Best Buy, but other than that, it seems like every reseller is (presumably) obliging by MAP at $1699.

·
Registered
215 Posts
so whats better then? Looking to buy a 65" vizio but should I wait for another month or so to see if 2015 p series comes out? or should I just get the 2014 p series over the 2015 m series?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you can I would wait 2 months, and see if a 2015 p series is out with hdr and WCG Dolby vision. Also keep in mind rolling out now is update 1.2.23 uhd for the p series, which adds MUCH better motion handling(10 points of adjustment for blur and judder), and I believe better upscaling(jury's out because update is so new, but the picture improved greatly) and Netflix quick start. It might even have better capabilities than the m now, need to hear people with both, what they say. I'm sure the m series is a great set too( has the GLL bug been fixed so you can actually adjust the motion settings on the m and they stay?)and its new for this year, but trusting reviews(rtings) of old firmware on the p verses the m doesn't accomplish much. The same review recommends you turn off the single best feature of this TV, which is odd to say the least. Also if the stand is an issue, p series has the middle stand, not on the edges.

So yeah, I would wait if you can, and even if you wait and have to get a m series, it sounds like a great set. I'm so impressed with my Vizio, I'm for sure getting an HDR model this Christmas if these rumors are true.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you can I would wait 2 months, and see if a 2015 p series is out with hdr and WCG Dolby vision. Also keep in mind rolling out now is update 1.2.23 uhd for the p series, which adds MUCH better motion handling(10 points of adjustment for blur and judder), and I believe better upscaling(jury's out because update is so new, but the picture improved greatly) and Netflix quick start. It might even have better capabilities than the m now, need to hear people with both, what they say. I'm sure the m series is a great set too( has the GLL bug been fixed so you can actually adjust the motion settings on the m and they stay?)and its new for this year, but trusting reviews(rtings) of old firmware on the p verses the m doesn't accomplish much. The same review recommends you turn off the single best feature of this TV, which is odd to say the least. Also if the stand is an issue, p series has the middle stand, not on the edges.

So yeah, I would wait if you can, and even if you wait and have to get a m series, it sounds like a great set. I'm so impressed with my Vizio, I'm for sure getting an HDR model this Christmas if these rumors are true.

I think its a really bad time to be buying one of these sets. I really think the P series is going to get an update in 2-3 months and that might be the TV to get you through the early days of 4k. Worst case the new P comes out and sucks(or doesnt come out at all) and you can punt for a M series knowing you got the most informed decision you could make at the time

Yes I know there is always something around the corner but now just seems like tons around the corner and if you are shopping for a TV for the forseeable future you might as well wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts