AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on acquiring a Mocom 10-gain screen, 60" diagonal, to mate with a $1400 LCD projector. Supposedly, this thing can be used with the lights on and has a viewing angle that is "plasma-like."

The theory behind these kind of install is that they are cheap to begin with and allow you to swap out the projector only whenever you want to upgrade.

I have no idea if this will be any good, but I promise to report back.

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you setting your Z1 up in a closet? 60 inch screen? C'mon, where's the 106" high contrast?

You had me going there with the Mocom 10-gain. Was going to ask you where you got it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you saw the room, Bill, you'd understand why a 60". Also, this is a first-time testing this setup out for lots of learning et al.

And, Ofer, that explains why it's an LCD projector that was cheap. I, personally, cannot stand single-chip DLP at all. This projector could survive as a 40" bedroom TV for years to come, you know. It puts out a nice HD picture and a nice DVD picture.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted.

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mark:

FWIW I almost never watch my HS-10 when there is any light in the room - especially sunlight. However, at night, I almost always watch DVDs on the 106" screen rather than watching them on my 433CMX. With a really good image, the projector just immerses you in the picture. Your Z1 should be really good on DVDs.

I've also found that the HS-10 projects a really excellent HiDef image and I'm not even using the DVI-HDCP input yet. But - the 433CMX is still king when it comes to HDTV.

As they say, size really does matter in the dark.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Huh! What! Doh! Uh-Oh! WOW! Yikes!:) :(

I know nothing about this set-up so I will just shut-up.

Enjoy Rogo and please do educate those of us that don't know.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it's true that the blacks were nowhere near as good on the Pioneer as they were on the Panasonic I had the year before (albeit briefly).

The projector is obviously no match still. And, again, this is no long-term setup. This is for fun right now. For the long term, a couple of things would need to happen:

(1) It needs to be a better projector.

(2) It needs to really work in daylight.

I will still have a flat panel again, soon. But after the last go-round, I am going to wait just a little while before jumping back in at the $5-10K level.

Mark

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

I will still have a flat panel again, soon. Mark
And that's the ONLY way you will be accepted back in to the community! ;) Enjoy!

·
Registered
465 Posts
"....I will still have a flat panel again, soon. But after the last go-round, I am going to wait just a little while before jumping back in at the $5-10K level...."

Mark,

I know you had problems with the pio plasma, I assume by your remarks that you couldn't get satisfaction from pio and returned them. Is this true?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Craig, they eventually made it right by buying back the panel. I tried to get them to do an exchange, but they wouldn't. I don't know why.

But, they made it totally right.

Also -- rest of you -- I think I am still a qualified flat-panel idiot savant. After all, I watch TV on a 20" Dell monitor I'm such a flat-screen addict.

Updates still to come as this projector / screen combo develops.

Mark

·
Registered
967 Posts
Rogo,

This is an interesting idea; a small screen, high intensity projection system. My questions are:

Are you planning to do a ceiling mount of the projector?

Could you place the projector inside some type of a table between 2 easy chairs?

What is the distance between projector and screen?

What about noise from the projector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Table mount for now. I am moving again after September.

Yes, you could place it inside a table between two easy chairs. These things are small.

I am about 10 feet from the screen, perhaps a bit less.

The projector is fairly quiet already. But I am going to build a hushbox that is hopefully big enough to accommodate a slightly larger projector if I switch.

I am thinking about a four layer box: a top, a bottom, two shelves inside. The PJ sits on the lower shelf which has a path to feed the cables in that starts in the front of the box and tracks under to the back of the lower shelf. A fan will be used to suck air into the lower "chamber".

Then the upper shelf has an outlet in its back side with a fan pointing out forward to dump air forward out the front from the top "chamber."

I will build out of some kind of particle board/plywood lined with a inexpensive Dynamat clone. I am contemplating a glass window, optical / scientific glass, for the front panel between the chambers.

This won't kill all the noise, but it should kill a lot. I am also contemplating some heat sinking in the top, but that might be unnecessary.

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.