1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all...

...for someone wanting 60" or bigger (less than 72", let's stay sane here
)

what are the best option in LCD, plasma, other?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Vizio is releasing a 72 in LCD I believe this year and I also believe the price was said to be about 3k. Aside from that 65 inch flavors can be had from panny and sharp(LCD). I know sammy does a 63 plasma but not sure if they go bigger than that.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/18150477

Vizio is releasing a 72 in LCD I believe this year and I also believe the price was said to be about 3k. Aside from that 65 inch flavors can be had from panny and sharp(LCD). I know sammy does a 63 plasma but not sure if they go bigger than that.

The larger LCDs definitely are intriguing...

...but are motion artifacts truly a thing of the past?

Size alone doesn't make a display king (at least to me).

My current RPTV has an excellent picture with the only visual issues being 1080i (vs 1080p) and definitely subject to glare.

Removing the lower 18" of TV set is the primary driver in the upgrade, 1080p being next.

But I am afraid of the status of artifacts in LCD (motion related being the ones I am most concerned about, are there others); with plasma, unless I'm wrong, glare and burn-in are the worst issues, both of which I've had to live with with my CRT-RPTV.

Opinions to help educate as i make my decision is all I'm hoping for here

Thanks

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/18150588

The larger LCDs definitely are intriguing...

...but are motion artifacts truly a thing of the past?

Size alone doesn't make a display king (at least to me).

My current RPTV has an excellent picture with the only visual issues being 1080i (vs 1080p) and definitely subject to glare.

Removing the lower 18" of TV set is the primary driver in the upgrade, 1080p being next.

But I am afraid of the status of artifacts in LCD (motion related being the ones I am most concerned about, are there others); with plasma, unless I'm wrong, glare and burn-in are the worst issues, both of which I've had to live with with my CRT-RPTV.

Opinions to help educate as i make my decision is all I'm hoping for here

Thanks

Vizio was advertised as 480 Hz set, it is very likely that cicuitry is on the level matching this speed so no motion problems.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The only motion artifacts that I am aware of on LCD models is those caused by using frame interpolation on 120Hz units and higher and haveing the frame interpolation set to it's highest level which causes artifacts with smaller moving objects especially if edge enhancement is enabled and/or sharpness is set to too high a value.

I have a current model 55" 120Hz Vizio and have no artifact problems with standard HD TV programs.

Nor do I have an Motion Blur problems.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/18154575

Well, there are still 60" Elites in the Magnolia room at my local Best Buy.
But as far as new models are concerned, I would certainly expect the TC-P65VT25 to be the "king."

I'm in the market for a 60-65 inch myself, but I wouldn't want a plasma. Not because of the feud between lcd vs plasma, but because I don't wan't to spend the necessary time to break it in and having to deal with IR and buzz.

The day they make a plasma without those 3 quirks then I'll consider them. I don't have any beef against their image quality.

Myself, I'll probably buy around the first or second week of march. I think the new sony NX800 is quite nice and I'm still waiting for Samsung new models (comes out monday it seems) and Sharp (4 color led) before making my decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/18150477

had the 65 inch Sharp. Got consitently nauseous in how LCD handles motion. Was very Jerky in scenes. If that doesn't bother you it was otherwise an ok set for the money.

Much prefer look and motion of plasma so got a Samsung 63 inch which for the money is best Deal Going in Canada as the Panasonic 65 inch was 1200 more

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18171776

I'm in the market for a 60-65 inch myself, but I wouldn't want a plasma. Not because of the feud between lcd vs plasma, but because I don't wan't to spend the necessary time to break it in and having to deal with IR and buzz.

The day they make a plasma without those 3 quirks then I'll consider them. I don't have any beef against their image quality.

Myself, I'll probably buy around the first or second week of march. I think the new sony NX800 is quite nice and I'm still waiting for Samsung new models (comes out monday it seems) and Sharp (4 color led) before making my decision.

FWIW, I own two 50" Pio Elite plasmas, and my buddy owns a 58" late model samsung, and neither of us have any of those problems you just mentioned. The break-in thing is more or less a nicety, but with current plasmas just watching them full screen with normal content for the first couple hundred hours will suffice just fine.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18216551

FWIW, I own two 50" Pio Elite plasmas, and my buddy owns a 58" late model samsung, and neither of us have any of those problems you just mentioned. The break-in thing is more or less a nicety, but with current plasmas just watching them full screen with normal content for the first couple hundred hours will suffice just fine.

In the end I jumped into the LCD bandwagon and bought the new sony NX800 60" LED LCD. i just hope I'll be able to finish painting and installing my flooring before it gets here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.