AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new forum member. From what I can tell, this is the place to be for A/V questions, so I would certainly appreciate your honest advice.

Background:

I'm in the market for a plasma for a family room setting. The room is about 20' x 24' with a 19' ceiling. The room includes a wall full of windows (2 stories) along the back wall and is open to an upstairs hallway and kitchen area. The plasma will be placed on the wall opposite the windows (read: some glare).

The room has a sectional that is about 16-17' from the intended mounting spot of the plasma. The seating area on the sectional spans about 15' across the room.

I have a 5.1 speaker system and home theater receiver, so I ~may~ be able to get by with a unit that does not have speakers (i.e. commercial version). However, I'm not sure what hookups the unit should have to allow me to run the DVD player, VCR, and digital cable input (whatever form that may take).

Intended Use:

The TV will be used for
  • DVDs
  • Digital Cable (to be purchased), including sports, movies, and some non-HD programming
  • and *gasp* some VHS input for kids movies.

Anticipated Purchase:

I am leaning toward the 60+" size plasmas--I like the appeal of mounting the unit on the wall and the brightness from various viewing positions. I have studied Sony's LCoS 60XBR1, but I'm pulled back to the plasmas for the added brightness and consistent field of view. I'm willing to pay the added cost.

Because of the viewing distance, I want more than a 50" unit. It appears that the 60-65" possibilities are the most likely choices. However, this is where things start to shake up a bit.

I'm unsure about what features are important.

1) Given the above, what are some of the best choices in this size range?

Panasonic TH-65PHD8UY?

Pioneer ??

Other manufacturers?

2) What features should I make sure it has?

3) Any concerns about these units?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help? More info needed from me?

·
Registered
227 Posts
ITA,

You aren't getting much response because there are limited choices above 55", and also there are limited numbers of these installed at this point. You are on the edge of the technology curve when you get up to 60"+.

We are all expecting much news from CES next month, and the forum will doubtless be filled with reports on Pany, Pio, Sony and others for 60"+ PDP, and Sharp and others are likely to be releasing a couple of new LCD models in that size range as well. If I were you I'd wait for 3 or 4 weeks and read the postings here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Darrell.

That explains quite a bit. I won't be pulling the trigger in the next week, so it makes sense to wait.

Thanks. Hopefully that "bug" will stop biting so hard. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the forum.You will find a lot of good information here.I have about the same type of room as yours.I went with the pioneer 6100 hd.After looking at all the options it was the best value for me.I was concerned with my room having so many windows but the plasma has no problem looking good with all the light coming in.You will find you can bring the price down considerably buying off the net getting the cost of the unit more acceptable then box store pricing.Good luck,keep reading and use your own eyes to determine what looks good to you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For a plasma that size, I would wait a few months and see if you can get your hands on a 1080p model, and the first ones out will be the larger sizes 55''+. I think in a Plasma that size it would make a noticale difference in PQ.

You could also go with a big DLP if you had to have 1080p now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My situation is nearly identical. I had an existing surround sound system in a large family room with windows opposite the wall where the monitor must be placed. I opted for the Pioneer PDP 6100Hd. We sit about sixteen feet away, and the 61 inch monitor is perfect for this viewing distance. I'm getting broadcast material via Direct TV, with an H20 receiver. From the receiver I run an optical connection to my surround sound receiver for audio. The picture goes to the Pioneer PDP 6100HD via HDMI. Glare from the windows is not a big problem, although they face the monitor. Picutre is nice day and night. I'm watching football in HD at the moment, and I have to study the screen to see reflections. When I look for the, I can see them. But I tune them out the rest of the time. At night, it's perfect. I have a Panasonic S97 for DVD. That's a reasonably priced upsampling player. The PDP 6100 produces gorgeous pictures from the DVD. In fact, the upsampled movies compare very favorably to movie HD broadcasts on HBO and Showtime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasm
Welcome to the forum.You will find a lot of good information here.I have about the same type of room as yours.I went with the pioneer 6100 hd.After looking at all the options it was the best value for me.I was concerned with my room having so many windows but the plasma has no problem looking good with all the light coming in.You will find you can bring the price down considerably buying off the net getting the cost of the unit more acceptable then box store pricing.Good luck,keep reading and use your own eyes to determine what looks good to you.
That Pioneer is definitely on my short list.

It's nice to know that the windows won't pose ~that~ much of a problem for the plasma. I know it isn't the most ideal view area, but I'm not quite ready to build that home theatre in the basement. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo
For a plasma that size, I would wait a few months and see if you can get your hands on a 1080p model, and the first ones out will be the larger sizes 55''+. I think in a Plasma that size it would make a noticale difference in PQ.

You could also go with a big DLP if you had to have 1080p now.
Those 1080p plasmas really have me interested. But, as a newbie, I'm still trying to figure out what benefit they provide in the real world when there aren't really any 1080p sources currently available (except perhaps Xbox 360, etc.). Here is an article I found on the subject: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-....html?tag=coco

I'll keep studying and hopefully figure out the benefit.

edit....This seems pretty good: http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback47.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson
My situation is nearly identical. I had an existing surround sound system in a large family room with windows opposite the wall where the monitor must be placed. I opted for the Pioneer PDP 6100Hd. We sit about sixteen feet away, and the 61 inch monitor is perfect for this viewing distance. I'm getting broadcast material via Direct TV, with an H20 receiver. From the receiver I run an optical connection to my surround sound receiver for audio. The picture goes to the Pioneer PDP 6100HD via HDMI. Glare from the windows is not a big problem, although they face the monitor. Picutre is nice day and night. I'm watching football in HD at the moment, and I have to study the screen to see reflections. When I look for the, I can see them. But I tune them out the rest of the time. At night, it's perfect. I have a Panasonic S97 for DVD. That's a reasonably priced upsampling player. The PDP 6100 produces gorgeous pictures from the DVD. In fact, the upsampled movies compare very favorably to movie HD broadcasts on HBO and Showtime.
Erik -

Thanks for the details from a fellow Detroiter. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't notice you were a Detroi resident. I'm in Bloomfield Hills. Where are you?

By the way, to reduce glare I mounted my panel fairly high o the wall -- about five feet from floor to the bottom of the panel -- and tilted it at about 15 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson
I didn't notice you were a Detroi resident. I'm in Bloomfield Hills. Where are you?
I didn't have it listed initially. :)

I'm up near Pine Knob. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.